ad: Schulman-1

Get $10 off HRD since March 24th was my birthday!

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by WJ6R, Mar 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AH2I

AH2I Ham Member QRZ Page

Good thinking kb3nph! Ham radio, like anything else, has a mix of people from all different walks of life. (Most of your 'bad-azz' hams are the ones who hide behind the mic and keyboard. If they were to actually meet you face-to-face, would have a completely different tune.) Some hams are cutthroat, while others will go out of their way to give you first aid treatment for it. Personally, I've had bad experiences w/ ham clubs. This is when hams will gang-up on you if you don't fit in with the clique and rejected from the wolf pack. There are also people holding licenses that have been convicted of serious and violent crimes to boot. If you're like me, you like your pets better than you like other people for this very reason. The testing requirements have been dramatically lessened, making it easier than ever to get a license and upgrade. While this offers some positive perspectives, it also introduces some of the not so good element as well at the same token. The ARRL pushed for this shortly after I first got licensed w/ the belief it would bring in more members. Instead, the opposite happened. Anyway, just a little 'soup for the soul' if you will... 73

2. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds a lot like the tone of someone who approved this thread.

I'd much rather get the opinions of my peers before running to the leader with my gripe.

3. AB7MC

AB7MC Ham Member QRZ Page

Correct ! ! !

Yes, you are very correct. And if I may add there are some hams pretending knows everything in radio transceiver but he/she has no idea how to protect a simple diode against back voltage.

4. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Not at all, as I have nothing to do with what is in the news section. I was just offering some simple advice in case you choose to poke the bear. The carnage sometimes is unsightly. Of course, it's your choice. May the force be with you.

5. W4ABC

W4ABC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm starting to sense a pattern, here. It's the attack of the bitter pills...

Jon Pearl - W4ABC
    www.w4abc.com

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

So... I take it you put yourself in the 2% then?

7. K2NCC

There's likely many things about the radio you don't know that your rhetorical ham does. However, I don't see what that has to do with the primary discussion here.

8. K2NCC

I'd have to have a better definition of what a REAL HAM is. And that's a whole new thread to beat to death.

9. K2NCC

No way man, I ain't poking that bear. It's not that big an issue. In fact, I'm pretty sure nothing on QRZ.com is worth getting upset and suicidal over!

You too!
    darth-darth-vader-star-wars-saber-smiley-emoticon-000555-large.gif

10. K2NCC

Which is too bad. People get emotionally invested in what are just discussion of our opinions. The personal jabs and general discourse of some people's posts make me wonder if they might take what they read far too seriously. Some folks start steaming up so badly they don't think straight. It often shows in their replies. I don't remember feeling upset over what I read on QRZ.com. Hard to imagine I ever would.

Anyway, thanks for the opinions. That's why I asked. My panties were never bunched, and neither should yours be.

11. AH2I

AH2I Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, I found his post both informative and beneficial to the truth behind ham radio today...

12. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

A real HAM is half of a Hogs Ass.

13. KB3NPH

KB3NPH Ham Member QRZ Page

I do what I can to help fellow hams.

14. N0WYO

N0WYO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There was a thread in the Rag Chew forum about a family who's house caught fire. the kid (10 years old I believe) was a freshly minted ham who was just starting to collect what he needed for his ham shack, and he lost it all. There was a huge outpouring of support, with offers of radios, tuners coax, and antennas on that thread. Everything you expect from helpful hams.

Where were you?

15. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

You forgot the 0.01% of us who are perfect.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.