ad: ProAudio-1

Germany hits back against French 144 MHz Aeronautical plans

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Aug 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

We shouldn't gloat. (But, we will.)

2. KA2IRQ

I haven't seen any update postings... why was it removed? Did 6 countries object? Did less than 10 want it? Did the French pull it? Was their whole proposal shot down or was it just modified to not include 144-146 MHz?

3. KC9VYX

KC9VYX Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KC9VYX

5. KC9VYX

Prost i will have an Octoberfest beer Thanks

6. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

The first 2 metre spectrum grab trial balloon has been sent up to see how it flied.

The next one will be stronger, you can bet on it.

7. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice to see hams from all countries come to the defense of their bandwidth. It's a shame spectrum has become the new real estate. Seems none of us (hams) are safe as long as there's a buck to be made. :(

WQ4G likes this.
  8. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

But we hams do pay for spectrum use! We pay an annual fee for spectrum use. So there's mony to be made from hams, albeit not as much as from a commercial users. And as long as you pay for something, I feel you have the right to that something.

WQ4G likes this.
  9. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, this is an exception.

Most countries have abolished the annual spectrum use fee, which makes it very difficult to argue for any negotiation position from this.

And, to be of any importance, the fees would have to be quite substantial.

If the administration fees for spectrum use that some countries charge their military forces and public safety users should be scaled to amateur radio, it would turn up somewhere around € 300 per year and user.

My own view is that it would be worth it, but most amateurs have no idea of the real worth of
    spectrum access. They just feel entitled to free use of spectrum.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

10. KA2IRQ

I do not believe that a natural resource should be the source of income for any government. I know that may not be reality, but sorry, I gotta disagree with that.

Now, if that government does something to actually maintain or improve that natural resource, and incurs expenses in doing so, I could see fees from the beneficiaries of that maintenance to cover the cost (not make a profit).

A good example is the beach... local governments often charge fees for beach access- but at least they clean and maintain the beaches (people are slobs and leave garbage, etc.). A small fee to cover the cost of cleanup, pay the lifeguards, and maintenance is fine.

No government does ANYTHING to maintain the electromagnetic spectrum. And no, frequency coordination and licensing does not count. The fees charged for spectrum are ridiculous across the board. I would have no problem paying a fee to the FCC for licensing and frequency coordination- they're acting as the gate keeper in the US to prevent true RF chaos. But I have a big problem with spectrum auctions or the concept the frequency spectrum has an intrinsic monetary value. Yes, I know one is basically assigned by the fact the cell companies pay billions of dollars for spectrum- but that's after my argument. It's just a money grab for government saying "we're the gate keeper and we want a piece of what you're gonna make with this."

Sorry, again, but I respectfully disagree.

KF7PCL, K6CLS and WQ4G like this.
  11. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

It is very obvious that you are not in the position to consider the effects of deregulation, as the US spectrum and telecom markets still are among those most regulated in the world.

When deregulation finally catches up with the FCC, the choice will be either a fee or something similar to get spectrum privileges, or no access.

Regulation protect "financially weak" or "non-profit" spectrum users.
    In a deregulated system, no-one become "entitled" to spectrum just for "good looks" or because they helped in WW2.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

12. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

This is good news. For a while I thought we might have to start using all those dead repeaters to prove that 2m was still needed.

13. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Land is set aside for public use and enjoyment. Why should the radio spectrum be any different? Why can't there be frequency segments set aside for the expressed purpose of enjoyment by the public?

Based on what I have seen happen in the past, deregulation means a disorganized or unrestricted situation or event in which everyone may take part. To paraphrase this means 'free-for-all' and in the terms of radio spectrum this means 'freebanding.' There are already whole segments of bands occupied by 'freebanders' that have existed WITH regulations in place. What do you think it's going to be like when there are no (or significantly less) regulations?

Also, I would be willing to wager that what will happen is that the 'regulations' that protect the public will be deregulated and the ones that protect corporations and corporate profits will remain in place or strengthened.

Dan KI4AX

KF7PCL and PA0MHS like this.
  14. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Why must the fee be separate and explicit?

I pay for all kinds of things through taxes, implicitly.

Many things at the FCC are now free, because it costs them.more to collect and account the small fees ($25).

That doesn't diminish anyone's interests in those items.

WQ4G and KF7PCL like this.
  15. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha ha, that will never happen. It's called regulatory capture, in other words the tail wags the dog.

The high $$$$ paid for spectrum, by the (oligopoly) incumbents, traises the barrier to entry... Keeps the competition out.

Same thing with wired services. Why is Ajit Paid now chairman of the FCC? Verizon installed him. Tail wags the dog.

WQ4G likes this.