ad: elecraft

George Politzi K2ZZ SK Age 65

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K2HAT, Sep 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

George Politzi K2ZZ SK.

Confirmed by his Brother Paul, yesterday.

Arrangements have yet to be made, more information in the near future.

George was an Amateur for almost 50 years, born June 7, 1952,

he had been the driving force behind Radio Oasis for years now.

His passing was unexpected, he was at the Boxboro Convention Hamfest

very recently with a table inside with many of his Radio Oasis Antennas for sale.

George was very proud to be #1 Honor Roll for DXCC having worked every DXCC
    entity that is currently on the DXCC Chart including North Korea. :)

I had dinner with George about 10 days ago, he said he was feeling fine, just a little tired from the road trip to and from Boxboro.

About 2 years ago George had relocated to the Albany, NY area about 10 minutes from where I live, and we usually shared a meal once or twice a week along with some other locals.

73 K2HAT Lee Hatfield Jr

Photo from the Centennial Hartford Convention 2014.

upload_2017-9-20_15-35-5.png

2. K2WO

K2WO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very sad news. I had the pleasure of knowing George for many year's. A big loss for the Ham Radio community. Prayers and good thoughts for George's family. RIP George.

George
    K2WO

3. K2HAT

Looks like Services for George Politzi K2ZZ will be

4:00PM Thursday Sept. 28, 2017 at the Blessed Sacrament Church 607 Central Ave Albany NY 12206

4. N1JAF

N1JAF Ham Member QRZ Page

I was happy to spend some time with George at the Boxboro New England ARRL convention earlier this month. He, has kindly supported that convention as well as Near-Fest in Deerfield NH over the years. He will be missed. This photo also brings back a great memory. Near-Fest had a booth near George and one of us (name withheld to protect the guilty) was chatting up the "Booth-Bunnie" he had hired for the ARRL Centennial Convention. At one point George came over and told us he wanted Near-Fest to pay for half of her fee. We laughed about it during this Boxboro convention just as hard as we did back then. I laughed when I saw the photo but was sad at the same time

73 OM

John Flood N1JAF
    "Boxboro" and "Near-Fest" Staff Member

K2HAT likes this.
  5. K2HAT

Hello John,

Thanks for sharing that, I recall George talking about that, LOL. I might have been standing there when he mentioned that to you gents.

About 2 years ago George moved to the Albany NY area, and we had dinner together with some other local hams many times.

A group of us got together and helped George to raise a Radio Oasis G5RV high in the air in a tree, as an inverted vee.

Of course being an antenna that George had made himself it worked great out of the package, he used one he had ready to sell, not anything special made any different for himself. :)

6. K2HAT

George Politzi, K2ZZ SK

Our beloved brother, uncle, friend and outstanding ham operator, George Politzi, passed away peacefully in his home, September 18, 2017. K2ZZ will always hold a special place in our hearts. A memorial funeral Mass to be held Thursday, September 28, 2017, at Blessed Sacrament Church, 607 Central Ave., Albany, NY. 4:00pm

Visit McveighFuneralHome.com to leave a message for the family. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the National Kidney Foundation, 30 East 33rd Street, New York, N.Y.10016.

Published in Albany Times Union on Sept. 26, 2017

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/timesunion-albany/obituary.aspx?n=george-politzi&pid=186760797

7. K2HAT

Today the ARRL Website has an announcement that George K2ZZ is Silent Key.
    http://www.arrl.org/news/radio-oasis-proprietor-george-politzi-k2zz-sk
    Radio Oasis Proprietor George Politzi, K2ZZ, SK
    10/03/2017
    Radio Oasis proprietor George Politzi, K2ZZ, of Loudonville, New York, died unexpectedly on September 19. He was 65 and had been a radio amateur for nearly 50 years. Politzi’s was a familiar face among the vendors at various hamfests around the eastern US, marketing his company’s antenna products, and he was a regular QST advertiser. Most recently, he attended the New England Division Convention in Massachusetts.
    In 2014, he was among the exhibitors at the ARRL National Centennial Convention, to which he donated some antennas. Politzi especially enjoyed DXing and was on the #1 DXCC Honor Roll.
    A memorial funeral mass was held on September 28 in Albany, New York. The family has invited memorial donations to the National kidney Foundation, 30 East 33rd Str, New York, NY 10016 — Thanks to Tom Frenaye, K1KI, and Lee Hatfield Jr, K2HAT

upload_2017-10-3_13-47-56.png

8. K2HAT

I was thinking of my Friend George K2ZZ several times in the past week, while I was working on my antennas, and while on the air.

I wanted to call him on the phone to brag about getting a couple of new DX Countries on 160m using the FT8 mode.

Gone but not forgotten, many people miss you George.

Here is a photo from the ARRL Centennial Hartford Convention, you can see he is proudly wearing his #1 Honor Roll pin on his shirt.

upload_2017-12-10_8-20-53.png

9. K2HAT

I didn’t hear his call last night
    Little steps through the dial
    Until just before light
    I finally gave up after awhile
    A familiar voice of a friend
    The camaraderie that had grown
    Hours of conversation with someone
    Their voice that I have known
    After a week
    With no signal found
    Without a peep
    Without a sound
    A message finally
    An email from another friend
    Finally brought the reality
    Of this home to me again
    My Amateur Radio friend
    Had passed away
    I shall Forever miss that gentle voice
    He became a silent key that day.

My thanks to the unknown Author whose poem I have slightly reworded.

K2ZZ Gone but not forgotten.

K3XR likes this.
  10. K2HAT

A little over a year ago George K2ZZ passed away, and today I went to call him on the phone again.

Gone but NOT forgotten!

11. W2CH

W2CH Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sorry to be late to tribute the passing of George K2ZZ. I just happened to look at QRZ and saw him listed about a year ago here. I too saw him at the
    2017 Boxboro convention, and learned he had moved from northeast Westchester County to Albany, NY, near his brother. I was glad when he established
    Radio Oasis and I bought products from him. I even won one of his inverted V antennas at Boxboro a couple of years ago. I remember his QSL card with
    the Corvette photo on it having worked him on 6 M from White Plains, NY. Now since January of this year I, and later Marylyn, KC2NKU reside in SE FL.
    We miss some of our friends up north, but will go to the Orlando Hamcation in February 2019 and meeet some of them there. However, in ending, We are
    very sorry that George died suddenly, at a young age, and for his contributions to Amateur Radio. Raymond Martin, W2CH, formerly Raymond Nahl

K2HAT likes this.
  12. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Very sad to hear :( While I never met him, I have him in my log many times - the first being while he was ARRL CEO and I still have his paper QSL on display in my shack.

Condolences to all close to him. He will be missed.

Dave
    W7UUU

13. K2HAT

Dave W7UUU,

K1ZZ DAVID G SUMNER was the ARRL CEO.

K2ZZ George Politzi, was my Friend and we had dinner together many times in the two years he lived walking distance from his Brothers,
    and 10 minutes from me by car.

14. K2HAT

Two Years now, K2ZZ gone but not forgotten.

15. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

hi george mein herziche beileit vy73 DJOAJ ekrem