ad: elecraft

Geomagnetic Storm ! X-Flare

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5TXR, Oct 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KJ7QQG

KJ7QQG Ham Member QRZ Page

None here on 20 either. Even 40 is scarce, no PSK31 at 7.07015 USB.

2. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

The storm's subsiding now as of 11/5/2021...

We had 20 hours of disturbed spaceweather from this most recent storm.

[​IMG]

And the A and K indices and Geomagnetic Field are still showing the after-effects.

[​IMG]

3. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

WHAT???

You mean I spent ALL DAY working on my antenna/feedline and it was nothing more than a solar storm??? :eek:

WD5GWY and (deleted member) like this.
  4. WA4JHE

WA4JHE Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that is a fact...stationed at Eielson AFB AK in the 70's as a SAC radio operator...and operating my ham station out of base housing...seldom was there not aurora noise and shut down propagation conditions....through it all, we managed to communicate just fine.

5. W0JKT

W0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

40m strange. 2 nights ago (0700-0900Z on SSB) some of the best band conditions in a while as the solar storm was hitting with high K. Last night (Fri morning in US) with storm passed and declining K was almost no paths open. There was no D layer absorption per various propagation sites. Also in the box thing here and other places whatever it says for 40m night seems it is the opposite. Good or fair is terrible and bad is good. I monitor the HHH net at 0700 on 40m most nights from various remotes and SDRs but often do not check-in. Often the best signals are from a Maui SDR since 40m often goes long late at night. But last night everything faded out all over and closed the net early since even the NC and relays could not hear each other.

Since as I understand it 40 is not much affected by ionization (F level) especially at night but more D level absorption (if there is any). Since I have been off the air for 40 years till 2021, and wasn't a big 40m fan when I was very active in 60/s-70's do not know how much if any solar cycles affects 40m especially at night.

6. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

For centuries, Arctic sky watchers have occasionally reported strange sounds filling the air as Northern Lights danced overhead. Hisses, crackles, and even loud "claps" have been heard and recorded. Are they real? Evan Ludes of South Dakota is a believer. On Nov. 4th, he heard strange sounds after a Cannibal CME hit Earth's magnetic field, sparking a strong geomagnetic storm:

"After pulling off the highway to observe the pulsing green aurora, I shut off my car engine and heard buzzing and chirping," says Ludes. "At first I thought the noise was being created by birds, which would have been very unusual for the middle of the night. Upon further investigation, the sound seemed to be emanating from nearby power lines or barbed wire fencing."

Everyone's heard buzzing near power lines before, but in this case the sounds were modulated by events in the sky. "The noise seemed to be synced with quick pulses of auroral light," says Ludes. "It was bizarre."

Aurora sounds are controversial. Despite innumerable reports over the years, researchers have struggled to explain the phenomenon and sometimes suggested that they might be imaginary. Recently, however, Prof. Emeritus Unto K. Laine of Finland's Aalto University has shown that at least some of the sounds are real. Using arrays of microphones in Finland, he has recorded instances of "geomagnetic thunder." The chirps Ludes recorded seem to be a different type of noise, but perhaps no less authentic.

Advice to observers with visible aurora: The next time a geomagnetic storm erupts, don't just look. Try listening as well.

7. WA8Y

WA8Y XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You mentioned 20m PSK, a reply said 17m and 15m were open. When the Maximum Usable Frequency (MUF) is above 20m, your signal will go farther with less Effective Radiated Power (ERP, combination of Antenna gain and TX watts). There is not much PSK on 17m or 15m (plenty of FT8, listen for it) but call CQ and look at RBNs like PSKreporter.
    Solar storms: space WX is just like regular weather, the forecasts have many variables, predictions are sometimes wrong.

8. VK5OHR

VK5OHR Ham Member QRZ Page