Geomagnetic Storm ! X-Flare

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5TXR, Oct 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. W0AZ

W0AZ Ham Member QRZ Page

How about that astronaut in the Tesla?
    Is he okay?

:)

1 person likes this.
  2. W1REN

W1REN Ham Member QRZ Page

This is still a topic ...?

For crying out loud.
    NOAA has already moved on to naming the first winter storm of ... winter :rolleyes:

3. KJ7QQG

KJ7QQG Ham Member QRZ Page

I just checked hamclock, and the DRAP is going crazy up north. It looks like the ionosphere is having a heart attack. Look at the previous K levels, they're all over the place!
    They're predicting that the K is going to spike to 5 any moment... I wonder what's going on. Any late CME stuff still hitting us?

4. W5TEE

W5TEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure helped the CQ contest over the weekend. Hope it portends things to come.

We want to mobile the Alaska Highway with a Tarheel and Buddipole in 22 (the 21 plans got cancelled). Any hope for making any HF contacts?

Any recommendations on what antenna types and configurations might work best?

5. KJ7QQG

I would recommend posting this in a new thread...

I don't have a lot of experience doing mobile so I wouldn't be able to advise.

6. W5TEE

W5TEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah we got plenty of time until summer and might do that. But the comments above about the radio desert got my attention.

We never hear much VE5,6,7 and hardly any Montana or Idaho. Alaska fergittaboutit. Is it because nobody lives there, nobody turns on the radio, or is it indeed a radio desert?

7. KJ7QQG

I've made at least 3 contacts in area of Alaska. Could it be which way your antenna is pointed?
    Also, lately, it might be a desert for northern Alaska. the DRAP is giving them a hard time right now, wait a week or so and it should clear up.

8. W0JKT

W0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, the sun just got an energy drink and is spouting CMAs all over the place. K is now at 7 but probably will subside. The solar wind hit us at about 700km/s but seems to be slowly going down. We had a G2-G3 event on earth but mostly North-directed magnetic field so less affect on radio as if it went So directed.

The explanation now for the non-event that didn't hurt the CQ contest was a huge CMA from the very North side of Sun appears to have produced a shock wave that pushed the X1 event further South so mostly missed earth.

The current eruptions are acting more normally. Space Wx is still not an exact science it is so complicated.

9. KE4D

KE4D Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked FD from the Kenai Peninsula in 2000. LOng slow QSB all day. For an hour or so I could work all over CONUS. Then things just faded away and an hour or so later, they started booming in again. STill it was a fun experience being KE4D/KL7.

10. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Solar storm underway apparently. Wonder if I missed any aurora last night? Not a signal on 20 or 17 at the moment here in SD.