ad: TinyPaddle-1

Geomagnetic Storm ! X-Flare

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5TXR, Oct 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A geomagnetic storm be concerned about arriving 31 OCT 21
    G2-G3 Storm 40% chance of major storm. Possible radio blackouts.

KI4RBI, KI7JOC, IU0DFK and 18 others like this.
  2. KJ7QQG

KJ7QQG Ham Member QRZ Page

On HamClock yesterday, it said we got a X1.0 flare. The DRAP went through the roof, too; but there were no blackouts. The NOAA "Space Wx" function says that there's more stuff to come in a few days. Did the flare come 3 days early, or is the worst to come?

M1WML likes this.
  3. KJ7QQG

Never mind. Looking at other forums having to do with the flare, it's the latter. I've only been a ham for a year so I'd like to see what it does to the DX conditions.

AA8GK, KC1OCA, WX6SWW and 4 others like this.
  4. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome to the hobby young man! I've seldom worried about the flares, as they come, and go. Usually short lived. Have you been on 12 through 17 meters the past few days? DX 'O plenty! 73

AA8GK, WX6SWW, K4WH and 1 other person like this.
  5. KJ7QQG

I usually stick on 20 for PSK31 stuff. I just hit Europe yesterday for all continents, so I'll give DXing a break for now. :)

AA8GK, M1WML, W3KKO and 2 others like this.
  6. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

20's a good band too. Congratulations on the continents, one goal down, plenty more to go. C U L

M1WML likes this.
  7. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Was first licensed in 1970 age 12. Soon thereafter I went into the shack and turned the radio on . . . NOTHING. NO signals, NOTHING. I started checking everything, my antenna and connections, coax, etc but all seemed OK but I could hear NOTHING.

It was my first experience with a solar storm that had wiped out the ionosphere. Didn't last but maybe an hour or so but it was . . . interesting as a new ham.

...........Bob

N7ZV, KB1MM, KB9JQU and 7 others like this.
  8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

In interior Alaska, a radio blackout isn't an "event," it's a continual state of being.

HB9EPC, WA4JHE, KB1MM and 7 others like this.
  9. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

NOAA Kp index breakdown Oct 30-Nov 01 2021

Oct 30 Oct 31 Nov 01
    00-03UT 2 7 (G3) 3
    03-06UT 3 6 (G2) 4
    06-09UT 2 5 (G1) 3
    09-12UT 2 5 (G1) 3
    12-15UT 5 (G1) 4 2
    15-18UT 6 (G2) 4 2
    18-21UT 6 (G2) 3 2
    21-00UT 7 (G3) 3 3

Thats the forecast of NOAA for the next hours. Up to a G3 it will reach this time some regions which are below of the standard northern ones. So that the green light in the northern sky will turn up to red in the southern regions, which will maybe have a chance this time to see something. At next some abnormal and rare cloud phenomena can be caused too.

M1WML likes this.
  10. W0JKT

W0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The shock wave with high levels of protons takes about 3 days to reach earth after the Solar flare - depending on the speed of the solar wind pushing the shock wave along. Have started to see somewhat increased solar wind speeds but not nearly the 1200 km/s some are predicting.

We know an X1 flare happened which can cause radio blackout for up to 3 days, unlike lesser proton flares which only last a few hours such as I believe Xray and Gamma rays. However, it all depends on how it hits the earth. Earth effects are still an emerging science as its very complex. We have satellites that can detect the flares but as approaches earth and interacts with earth magnetic fields gets very complicated. Northern lattitudes have the most effect of the magnetic currents.

The good news is immediately after it all passes should be more ionization to increase flux, although we have been over 100 now for about a day. If all goes as predicted (big if), probably some radio blackouts on Sat/Sunday if the shock wave hits earth.

Now at the start of the CQ contest bands have been wide open on SSB. After 20m lost its daytime ionization 40m is very active. The nets such as HHH are having a hard time with all the QRM from contesters.

I am just starting to try and understand the complications

HB9EPC, M1WML, KD8DWO and 1 other person like this.
  11. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

GEOMAGNETIC STORM WARNING: NOAA forecasters say geomagnetic storms on Oct. 30th-Nov. 1 could be strong when a Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) is expected to hit Earth's magnetic field. A category storm G3 means auroras could descend to mid-latitudes--places like Kansas, Nebraska, Oregon, Virginia. The CME's arrival time is uncertain; estimates range from midday on Oct. 30th to the early hours of Oct. 31st.

[​IMG]

October 30, 2021: Currently 82 sunspots and solar flux at 112.
    A index is 3 and the K index is 2. Expect the K index to increase at 12-15 UT.
    A chance for X-class flares on days one, two, and three (October 30, 31, and November 1).

NOAA Kp index breakdown Oct 30-Nov 01 2021

....................Oct 30..........Oct 31..........Nov 01....
    00-03UT..........2...............7 (G3)..............3.....
    03-06UT..........3...............6 (G2)..............4.....
    06-09UT..........25.............5 (G1)...............3.....
    09-12UT...........2...............5 (G1)...............3.....
    12-15UT............5...............4 (G1)...............2.....
    15-18UT............6 (G2)......4.......................2.....
    18-21UT............6 (G2)......3.......................2.....
    21-00UT............7 (G3)......3.......................3.....

GEOMAGNETIC STORM WARNING: NOAA forecasters indicate geomagnetic storms on Oct. 30th-Nov. 1 when a CME (described below) is expected to hit Earth's magnetic field. It could be a strong storm, category G3, which means auroras could descend to mid-latitudes--places like Kansas, Nebraska, Oregon, Virginia. The CME's arrival time is uncertain; estimates range from midday on Oct. 30th to the early hours of Oct. 31st.

[​IMG]

B. NOAA Solar Radiation Activity Observation and Forecast

Solar radiation, as observed by NOAA GOES-16 over the past 24 hours, was above S-scale storm level thresholds.

Solar Radiation Storm Forecast for Oct 30-Nov 01 2021

............................Oct 30.....Oct 31...............Nov 01
    S1 or greater.........99%..........30%...................30%

Rationale: S1 (Minor) solar radiation storm conditions are in-progress
    and expected to persist over 30 Oct, with a chance for an additional
    enhancement at the S1 (Minor) storm level on 31 Oct - 01 Nov.

[​IMG]

C. NOAA Radio Blackout Activity and Forecast

Radio blackouts reaching the R1 levels were observed over the past 24
    hours. The largest was at Oct 29 2021 0242 UTC.

Radio Blackout Forecast for Oct 30-Nov 01 2021

.......................Oct 30........Oct 31..........Nov 01
    R1-R2...............75%.............75%.............75%
    R3 or greater....30%.............30%............30%

Rationale: R1-R2 (Minor-Moderate) radio blackout conditions are
    expected, with a chance for R3 (Strong) radio blackouts, over 30 Oct -01 Nov.

https://spaceweather.com/
    https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/3-day-forecast
    Aurora Photo Credit: Ruslan Merzlakov

DO1FER, G0RQQ, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  12. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Became a ham in 2016 and started watching Dr. T’s reports. Never have I seen activity like this before! When I saw the explosion WOW! The Sun sure is waking up. Thanks for posting.

W5TXR and M1WML like this.
  13. KC1CCG

KC1CCG Ham Member QRZ Page

How could the event exceed the forecast?? My heart is racing as she implores me to not get excited about the CME. In another context her admonitions would put me over the edge. A nice way to go.

WX6SWW and M1WML like this.
  14. KL5DK

KL5DK Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear ya! I'm in Matsu valley and I hear more from Japan than anything else. 20 and 40 meters is about all.

M1WML likes this.
  15. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

DR TAMITHA SKOV vy73 DJOAJ ekrem sincerrelly

WX6SWW, M1WML and (deleted member) like this.