Geographic call sign rules?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KJ4IRX, Sep 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KJ4IRX

KJ4IRX Ham Member QRZ Page

When I moved my QTH to the 4-call area from 2-call area, I requested that the FCC issue me a geographic call sign. One was issued. Does the FCC officially refer to this as an "alias?" May I also use my original call sign ? On CW, I have accidentally used my original 2-land call (it's burned into my brain). Was this a violation of the rules?

2. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

You have one issued call sign. The old one is returned to the FCC for reissue at a future date. It is not valid for you to use.

WA9SVD, KS2G, K3XR and 1 other person like this.
  3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was always somewhat annoyed that you can no longer tell where someone is by his callsign, unlike the olden days. However, I've had my callsign for so long...and more people know me by my callsign....that I'd hate to lose it if I ever left Alaska (perish the thought). So, maybe the new rules are for the better.....alas.

K0UO and K9ASE like this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

I changed my call sign when I moved from the 5 land to 0 land.
    When I'm operating in my RV I always use portable with the call Zone designator for whatever area I'm in.

I do the same thing whether I'm air mobil aeronautical or land mobile.

I feel that it's a common courtesy and gives people with directional antennas and idea where to aim their antennas.
    Also if you're from a distance call Zone but your Strong it might give someone a clue that you're operating local in their area.

I think it's just common courtesy and good, operating procedure to do so whether required by the FCC or not.
    It's a fun hobby, so let people know where you're at.

W4POT and K3XR like this.
  5. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Gotta wonder who's gonna care, let alone check on you when you do it again. Esp using when Morse...
    Mistakes are human nature.

6. K2CD

K2CD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Steve. The FCC doesn't refer to your new call sign as an "alias", but QRZ.com does refer to your old call sign as an "alias". If you query "WB2VKL" on QRZ it shows as an alias for KJ4IRX. In any event your old call has been deactivated by the FCC upon issuance of your current one.

On another note, if you really miss your WB2VKL call you can get it back through the vanity call sign program.

Better yet, WB4VKL is avaliable right now through the vanity program. Why not apply for it asap. You'd be getting the best of both worlds.