ad: ARR

Generator usage....

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KH8AC, Jan 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see how a 100 watt radio would be too much for an 1100 watt generator.

AC2FO likes this.
  2. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I stopped lugging a generator around and just started getting into solar. For now just have the 100W harbor freight set-up but works great for keeping the camper battery or my other radio batteries topped off.

I have been using a couple of batteries from Bioenna Power for about four years that I am very happy with that actually are usable for a long time before a recharge. If not using the internal batteries on my FT897 I use these and most often full output power. I also use them to power my FT991A while out and 'off grid'. However, it looks like I need a special controller for the Bioenna batteries to charge with solar... so I am looking into that at present.I have no experience with the MightyMax batteries.

Generators IMO are good to have, but I enjoy NOT having to use one.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    1 person likes this.
  3. KH8AC

KH8AC Ham Member QRZ Page

After on and off questions over the months I finally got something simple. (I don't have the time to live at QRZ/EHAM,etc.)

Just ordered a small Honda. It has a cable to connect to another one.

29 pounds. Just something to wander around with and play with. (if it be just QRP)

I don't like the price about equaling the 2200 but --- I already observed a 2200 and is it not a little bulky to climb mountains with ?

Lithium. Maybe the prices will come down. EVERY battery including car should have circuits in them that tell you the status of everything but ? - and expensive lithium ?

So just a 29 pound toy to play with for now.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmZu7wUq4-5h8A4fjXF3s2_YzqBR

Of all my snooping have yet to even see anybody comment on the small unit and how worthless it might be.

I see Home Depot selling some higher wattage generator with Ryobi? brand name that claims to have a Honda engine. Not that expensive. 50+ pounds.

K0UO likes this.
  4. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The best part about the Honda is how quiet they are!

Good luck

K0WLO, KC1DRW and N4DJC like this.
  5. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

KH8AC, I think you have a misunderstanding about how to power your radio. The radio will require about 11VDC > 14VDC, usually from a REGULATED power source that keeps it at about 13.8VDC. At this voltage, the radio should draw 20-25 amps, as you mentioned...

However, you will also need a 13.8VDC power supply (just like you'd use in your house) to connect to the generator's 110VAC > 120VAC output, which will draw between 3 > 5 amps from the generator. Using one generator, you should even be able to use 2 of the DC power supplies to power 2 separate radios, each running the full 100w output! I've done this many times with my old Honda 1000 generator, and it works just fine.

This is actually not correct. The Honda EU1000i Generator has a 12VDC output that is NOT regulated, and is intended only to be used to recharge 12VDC batteries. This is according to the User's Manual, page 34.

EU1000i Battery Charging Note.jpg

The Honda EU1000i is PERFECT for portable operation, but you'll still need the extra power supply to convert the 110VAC to 13.8VDC, in order to run the radio.

@K7JEM also mentions this here: https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/generator-usage.690211/#post-5345046

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    W7EDC likes this.
  6. KC1DRW

KC1DRW Ham Member QRZ Page

You will have nothing to worry about running the small generator. Full power inverter design and clean power compared to the old full speed generators of the past. At my summer location I run the Honda 3000is. now that is much more than you need but was running the ac in the camper and tv was on lol...not an issue. I also have the small 1000 watt inverter style. Runs it all except the air conditioning that is using a 30 amp power supply for the icom ic718 or 7100. You can hardly hear the generator at 50’ away. Kinda fun under the awning operating

1 person likes this.
  7. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

My FT-857 draws 10 amps at 30 watts output CW.
    Best money is spent for a new gen is the highest wattage WEN brand.
    Got mine at Home Depot. WEN 2250 peak 1800 watt under $515
    Clearly the best value lower priced inverter gen than any Honda.
    Is capable of dual op. It is 4 stroke. It is very quiet.
    I made my own custom built sealed fuel cap and external fuel tank for longer run time.
    Yes, it runs my 8k BTU A/C full blast on my RV too... Microwave oven? not at same time.

KC1DRW likes this.
  8. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with the best antenna you can make to fit your situation the better your contacts. I have seen solar panels on top and 100 watt radios running off RV batteries.
    Or did I miss something?

9. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

KC1DRW likes this.
  10. N3WSO

N3WSO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Another item to consider when running the generator is the amount of RF noise it may put out when running. There are some brands/models out there that will send the noise floor from a S1 to S7 as soon as it fires up. If you can get ahold of a 'friends' generator for testing purposes prior to purchasing, you may save yourself some headache later.

KC1DRW likes this.