Generator Suggestions

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W2JKT, Sep 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 8 HP Briggs with electric start and a cast iron flywheel.

It is not very portable, But it is reliable.

My portable is a Generac. For the price they are OK.

2. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess you just have to use the generator to run your 3D printer, so you can continuously print generator parts while the generator is running.

KU4X, W4IOA and KC8VWM like this.
  3. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well my generator came in on Friday. I took it out of the box, went through the quick setup procedure, added fuel, and hit the button. The thing cranked right up on the first button push. I ran it for about an hour with a space heater on 1200-ish watts (a little less than half load) and it did just fine, and it is very quiet for its size, even under load.

The electric start is nice.

I doubt I will need it for Irma now that she's gone so far west, but I'm still glad I picked it up. Now I can start wiring up my ham trailer.

K7WFM, K4YWZ and KA2CZU like this.
  4. KK7EL

KK7EL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They usually ship without oil in crankcase, but if it ran for an ihour must be oil in sump.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you tried to run your A/C yet ?

6. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Part of the aforementioned "quick setup procedure" was to put oil in it. :) It came with half a quart of 10W30 in a non-recyclable bottle :mad:

I plan to run the wiring up to my office for the window A/C unit after work today. My central A/C is a 3 ton unit that this thing couldn't hope to start. I have a small 5kBTU window unit in my ham shack/office upstairs, and to be honest I would be really shocked if this generator couldn't start it.

7. KQ0J

KQ0J Ham Member QRZ Page

" Energizer seems to be the best deal, 2800W starting, 2600W continuous, with electric start, for $900. Honda is $1000 for 2kW starting, 1600W rated. But, it's a Honda, so you're going to pay a premium for their branding on what is probably the same chinese genset. Ryobi is cheapest but lowest power and features - $600 for 1kW"

Wow big money.

I picked up a 4Kw / 3.5 Kw champion at Cabela's for $299 a couple years back. They have them all the time near that price point. Starts easy, pretty quiet, runs the radios good. $1000 for a honda with half the power? I dont think so.
    Its been good for field day, using power equipment in the field and the occasional power outage.

If I ever upgrade I want one with 220V though and maybe 6Kw peak.

8. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm already jealous!;)

9. KF2M

KF2M XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Post Sandy the XYL and I decided on a whole home genset. We got a 20KW Generac. Over two weeks without power nearly wiped out the XYL's business. Well worth the investment. No RF hash but noisy (to the neighbors). Even used it for FD a couple of years ago.

10. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

To make a claim like
    " what is probably the same chinese genset "
    and give no background is just plain spreading BS .
    I have worked on many generators , including the copies and there are different .
    Try not to spread bad info to others .

K4YWZ and W4IOA like this.