Generator Suggestions

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W2JKT, Sep 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I figure you did a Google search for that , and do not know much about manufacturing ?
    Yes a lot of stuff is made in China , and a lot of quality items and parts of quality items come from China .
    The big / BIG , difference is who is doing the ordering , since we are talking about Honda , then I will use them as the example - Honda has a " SPECIFCATION " they want there product built to [ same with many other companies ] ,
    what chineeze manufacturing has been doing with a lot of this stuff they make for other companies is copy [ with different / cheaper spec.s ] and then sell at reduced prices .
    These , buy any measure are not the same units with different labels .
    Again anyone who makes these kinds of claims , do not have 1st hand / hands on experience , I would venture they just get info off the internet - much like conspiracy fan-boys .
    TRY TO SWAP ALMOST ANY PART BETWEEN THE HONDA & A COPY ?
    Let them run side by side .
    Knowing comes from [ hopefully learned ] direct experience .
    Believing is the lack of knowing , just repeating what you have read / heard .

K5PHW likes this.
  2. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

I got a Generac 5kw generator. Ive used it three times. My rule of thumb is $0.10 per watt for a genny. Actually, I paid about $400 for it as Home Depot had a slug of them left over after a storm threatened to blow through and wound up missing us. Folks went out and bought them all and either never used them or used them once and then told Home Depot that they never used them and Home Depot was willing to take them back.

3. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually I know quite a bit about manufacturing.

Honda likely does have a specification that they farm out to several different sources for ODM. What is typical for a China ODM is a period of exclusivity for the design before it can be sold as OE to other manufacturers, subject to restrictions set forth by the executed contract. That period of exclusivity may be indefinite, or it may not, depending upon how much Honda pays. However, this is pretty irrelevant since there is so much cheating that goes on.

The typical M.O. is to sell the exact same specification to "alibaba" integrators who may integrate the same product into a different shell with slightly different accessories. It costs more to change the design and retool than it does to simply overproduce. Most of them don't bother. One notable exception is the Chinese "RigRunner" knockoffs that are showing up on Amazon now. They are nearly identical to the West Mountain units except they've added a fuse status LED to each output, which is actually a really nice feature. That's a pretty easy design change to make - certainly easier than retooling a cast for an engine block or head.

Anyway.. it is a reasonable conjecture that anything made ODM in China is going to get appropriated at one point or another. There are about a dozen different "2kW" inverter generators on Amazon from various Chinese vendors. If I really cared enough about winning an Internet argument (and believe me, I don't) I'd just buy one or two of them and open them up.

That's all I really have to say about it.

4. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The gas c
    The gas utilities company is the first place to start. Then find a fireplace business in town about the fireplace. I have 2 fireplaces, one is a gas fireplace w/ ceramic logs and my other fireplace is a regular wood burning gas assist. It has a burner to get the wood burning then I turn off the flame. Both are good choices depending on your needs.

5. W2JKT

I can say for sure that I will never again own a home without natural gas available to it. My hot water heater, fireplace, and furnace are all natgas, which means I still have heat and hot water without electricity. I used to love wood fireplaces but now that I've had a gas fireplace I will never go back.

W4IOA likes this.
  6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Some hot water systems and most home heating systems generally depend on electric circulating pumps. Many gas fired fireplaces require electric start.
    And wood doesn't blow up. That you like gas is fine but I doubt most people buy homes based on a sole criteria.

7. W2JKT

None of my stuff requires electricity service to operate. Fireplace starts with a piezoelectric pushbutton. Hot water heater uses a pilot light. You're right that most people don't buy homes on one sole criteria. I don't, either. I have many more requirements than "must have gas."

W4IOA likes this.
  8. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Having a gas system home was a must for me. My last home had natural gas and demanded little electricity to power furnace and hot water. All I had to power to heat the house was a small squirrel cage in the furnace and the pilot light on the water heater. Stove could be lite by a match. I like the ability to burn less than perfectly seasoned firewood or even get it going with wet wood if I had too. I also like having a non wood gas fireplace for ambiance though it does heat. But it's always good to have multiple avenues to power and keep the creature comforts available. Spent plenty of weeklong plus power outages in the coast range. We needed a generator just to pump water there.

9. K5PHW

K5PHW Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with not putting all your eggs in one basket.
    I have gas heat, wood heat and a generator.
    Living in Oklahoma has weather related issues.

W4IOA likes this.
  10. KW4EK

KW4EK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FWIW, at least some of the West Mountain RigRunner strips have had fuse indicator LEDs for at least the past several years. I can not speak for every model since I do not own them all, but I do own several different models of the West Mountain RigRunners. Their indicator LEDs are located beneath each fuse such that the fuse itself illuminates when the fuse blows but the circuit is still trying to draw power. So the knockoffs having indicators is not specially innovative in that regard. It would not surprise me if the knockoffs are simply being produced on a ghost shift as China is bad about such practices.

More on topic, I have very much enjoyed our 15KW Generac generator that we have owned for the past 11 years, which we got a good deal on in 2006 as Home Depot was overstocked after the 2005 hurricane season and so a few were seemingly shipped to many HDs across the South with marked down prices on year old unsold units. I have our house wired with a 200A transfer switch feeding our house's main panel so that I can feed every circuit in our home by simply switching on and off the circuits I wish to power. I have a watt meter that displays the watt load on each of the 120V legs so that we can stay within a 6,250W/50A budget on each leg and adjust the load according to need and shed loads by switching off circuit breakers. We can just handle starting our 4-ton AC for the upstairs but it does require pretty much the full 22.5KW surge rating to start, so all other loads must be momentarily shed to start the unit, then we can switch everything back on as the upstairs AC only draws about 5KW (2.5KW/leg) once started. The 2-ton unit downstairs is much easier to run and requires no special handling. But 15KW is a nice size if you want to be able to live very comfortably during an outage since you can run full lighting, television, heating or AC and can prepare meals as normal without any concerns (we have a natural gas cooktop but electric oven, plus the usual microwave and toaster oven as well). As someone with a lot of health issues I really appreciate the generator during our ice storms that hit ever several winters, and other occasions, as my medications do not always allow me to regulate my temperature well so I can get very uncomfortable outside of a narrow temperature range. Without it we would likely seek a hotel room after a day or so, but that can be a challenge when everyone else has the same idea. They are not necessarily cheap to run, but are still cheaper than a hotel room for several nights!

W2JKT likes this.