General Test - Gulp it down or take your time

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by K8OCB, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8OCB

K8OCB Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings all,
    I am newly licensed - at the Dayton Hamvention in fact, and on Saturday August 7th another (smaller) hamvention is going on locally. They are offering free license exams.

I really want to upgrade to my General. I've been studying for the past couple of weeks - but there is a LOT of material.

So here is the problem: I CAN sit for this test and maybe pass it if I concentrate on learning the answers to the questions. However, if I really want to gain a comprehensive understanding of oscillators and electrical principles - as well as circuits - I will need a lot more time.

So - do I gulp down the answers and spit them back out for the sake of getting my upgrade ticket - or do I slow it down - decide patience is a virtue and give myself another month or two to study?

What say ye?

2. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

If they're giving the test this weekend for free, I would take the test. If nothing else, think of it as a practice session.

There's nothing preventing you from continuing to study, even if you pass!

Congrats on the new ticket, and good luck on the test!

3. W9PSK

W9PSK Ham Member QRZ Page

That's for you to decide for yourself.

4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see a problem, either way. If you take the test and pass it, you get the license. Your learning should not come to an end at that point.

The test is just a hoop to jump through. It gets you some privileges. It doesn't mean you're a radio god, or really have any specific knowledge. It just means that you were able to pass that specific test on that specific day. No guarantee that you could have passed any other test given.

Joe

5. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

Well said by everybody. I cannot understand WHERE this idea comes from that once a person has taken the test, all learning stops !

I have been licensed in some form of Electronics discipline since the mid 60s, and I am STILL LEARNING NEW THINGS, almost every day!

Take the test, and then go on from there, whatever the results might be !

Good luck 73, Jim

6. AE7HF

AE7HF Ham Member QRZ Page

Take the exam.. free, nothing to lose

Just cram and take it. download the question pool from ncvec.org and edit it. Take all the wrong answers out. Ok, won't learn much theory, but when it comes exam time you should remember only the right answer.
    My wife went from Tech to general to extra in 1 month. Just read the book, you'll do fine. We'll be testing August 7th (she's an ARRL VE now too). My friend is upgrading to general too. Good luck, you'll do fine.
    Free you can't go wrong :)

7. WX4XW

WX4XW Ham Member QRZ Page

Did someone say free? LoL I would take the test as well. I need to upgrade to Extra. I guess I am just too lazy. LoL

Congrats on your ticket.

8. KF5CSW

KF5CSW Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been studying for it for about the past 6 months. There's really no hurry for me, because I'm still saving up for a HF radio. I'm new to the hobby and a novice at electronics concepts especially, so it's not easy to learn for me. Math was never my strong point. I've been picking up the concepts in different ways besides the book. I bought a breadboard, lots of components, and a meter to try out the various formulae (series vs. parallel, etc). I downloaded LTSpiceIV and am playing around with it. I've read some books that explain electronics differently (I really like "There Are No Electrons: Electronics For Earthlings" by Kenneth Amdahl, and I found there's a Navy manual to electronics that explains things really well). I'll get there.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  9. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would study the material and periodically take the practice tests online. Take the time to learn some of the theory behind those topics on the test you don't understand well, by doing so you will be able to reason through to the needed answers come test time.

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd take the test and then keep on learning anyway.

I'll bet most of us were lousy drivers when we took our driver license exams at age 16 or whatever. Doesn't mean we didn't get better over time.

Why, just the other say I was saying to this lady I ran over...:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.