ad: cq2k-1

General class license questions - post June 2015

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KF4KGA, Jul 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KF4KGA

KF4KGA Ham Member QRZ Page

It appears the question pool changed in June 2015 for the General class license. Thus, the 8th edition ARRL General Class Study Guide was published, and the cover indicates it is good through 2019.

7th edition books are much cheaper, since they are "obsolete." Should I go ahead and pay for the 8th edition, or will the 7th edition cover most of the material?

If yes, is there an online question pool that would better gauge my preparedness for the 8th edition test?

Thank you for your assistance.

2. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Luke,

I would recommend that you purchase and use study aids that match the current test material.

The base material doesn't change all that much...theory is theory, physics is physics, etc. But new material is added and old, dated material is dropped.
    And the actual wording of the questions and answers may be changed within a question pool revision.

So, study the current material and take practice exams, such as those offered here on the Zed, that utilize the current material. When you can consistently pass the on-line practice exams with an 85%-90% score, you will be more than ready to take the actual exam. (If you study and practice out-dated material, you will be well-prepared to take and pass an out-dated exam...and those aren't offered anymore!)

You may also want to check out any clubs in your area and see if they offer license prep classes.

Study well and knock out that General exam! See you on the HF bands!

Regards,
    -Bruce

3. W7LZN

W7LZN Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have a smart phone, I would suggest "Ham Test Prep" for practice questions. Up to date, easy to use, and keeps track of your progress. I found it easy to use whenever I was out and had to wait for someone, waiting on food, break at work, etc.

~Brad

4. KF4KGA

KF4KGA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you both!