Gender imbalance in ham radio

Discussion in 'The YL Zone' started by F4WBW, Feb 12, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-assoc
  1. KC9ZHV

KC9ZHV Ham Member QRZ Page

Well i am not sure what NOV is but I use allstarlink and echolink I also have two repeaters that I built if their is anything i can do to help ya with your audio let me know I would love to assist in anyway i can whether its just listening while ya talk and adjust things that sort of thing!! Let me know!! Also your more than welcome to stop by our repeater echolink nodes KC9ZHV-R and KC9ZHV-L

N6QIC likes this.
  2. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

NoV is a notice of variation from OfCom to amend the terms of the licence. It is required before a UK licensee can set up an unattended internet linked repeater station.

KC9ZHV and MI0YLT like this.
  3. KC9ZHV

KC9ZHV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Ria!!

N6QIC likes this.
  4. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

And it shouldn't. XYL or YL is simply a description of a female ARS operator.

The US is not the only region that has inconsiderate operators.

I for one wish more females would become interested in Ham radio.

I know some female net operators who do an excellent job.

Regards,

Phil

5. N6QIC

N6QIC Database Team QRZ Page

6. N2RJ

Specifically it is this:

10 Unattended and remote control operation
    10(3) This Clause 10 does not permit the Licensee to install Radio Equipment capable of Remote Control Operation for general unsupervised use by other Amateurs.

You need to get authorization from OfCom to waive that restriction.

7. VE3LYX

VE3LYX Ham Member QRZ Page

You dont have to be a yl to get treated like crap. Not being on the IN group will do it as well. I think that is why I find myself more and more operating CW

KC9ZHV likes this.
  8. N2RJ

YLs have unique challenges in the hobby.

We are viewed by default as being not as technically knowledgeable, for example, with the tendency by some men to "mansplain" us. And by default we're viewed as being an accessory to our husbands or boyfriends who are the "real hams" in the household. It isn't always that way of course. Some of these attitudes are changing, thankfully but there is a long way to go.

I enjoy nets and conversation with YLs because we "get" each other as we share these unique challenges.

KC9ZHV likes this.
  9. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

10. VE3LYX

VE3LYX Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sorry to hear that. There is a spirit of elitism in some areas of band ops. Used to be ham to ham was enough