Gemini HF-1K

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K8MCN, Oct 21, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. N5DMC

N5DMC Ham Member QRZ Page

I say Frank 'ole boy, how it going over there? How's that Gemini?

2. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Canada will also be duty free, but they'll slap the 13% Harmonized Sales Tax on it!

3. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't comment much as yet becasue mine had several problems and is in the process of being replaced.
    Problems aside, its built more like a commercial amp rather than the usual amateur quality.
    It's very substantial, 19kg (42 pounds)!!
    Frank

4. N5DMC

Awesome Frank, thanks for the reply. I was wondering. Sounds promising though.

Doug

5. K6LPM

K6LPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That is pretty cool that its commercial style build quality. It is a bit disheartening to hear that yours arrived with issues and requires replacement. However, if the glass is half full, it appears that the fact that they so quickly or readily offer a replacement sounds very promising.
    Curious though,,,, inquiring minds must ask, what specifically were you having problems with on the first amplifier received???

6. G0GSR

Its not the fist one. The beta testers have had them for several weeks so you would hope that they would have found any teething problems.
    I think that they were all happy with theirs but I'm the worst possible customer. If something isn't quite right, I WILL find it. Years of practice.

I would rather not criticise this one just now as faults do happen and I'm getting excellent support from Roger at DX shop.
    Frank

N5DMC likes this.
  7. N5DMC

Frank,

You're not exposing it to any MIL-883 salt spray or rapid thermal transients are you. Just kidding. You would need to charge for that service. Solid State RF amps are something to understand that when they are right, they are right, and not before. But something that is a real nice thing considering simply the power out vs the semiconductor footprint. Simply changing input modes will certainly re-curve any allowed pre-determined AGC settings.

Send that bloke back over here when you get done with him would you....:)

Doug

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is a schematic diagram available for the HF-1K?

I see they rate it to operate on 472 kHz (with external LPF) and they state it uses solid-state T/R switching, presumably PIN diodes.

I wonder where they found power PINs that actually work at 472 kHz? Higher frequencies are easy, lower ones not so much.

9. G0GSR

Good point! I have some low power PIN diodes which are not rated to work below 40MHz.
    Have a look here, they mention a lower frequency limit of 5kHz!
    https://www.microsemi.com/document-portal/doc_download/134814-micronote-701-pin-diode-fundamentals

Referenced from this page:
    https://www.microsemi.com/product-d...enuation-diodes/1806-si-high-power-pin-diodes

I don't think that a schematic is available.

Frank

10. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's amazing how diodes have progressed.

When did you work at Micro, Steve?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018