ad: w5yi

Gathering info on new Yaesu FT5D HT

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by W7ESR, Aug 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
  1. AI5DD

AI5DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been told it was a redesign due to the lack of chips and the FCC certification.

K8XG likes this.
  2. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

They can't seem to get the audio right. The original FT1D had atrocious speaker audio. I have to dial mine up to 20 or 25 to hear anything out of the internal speaker. Add a headset like the Heil HTH and I have to dial it down to 5 or 6 to keep from getting blasted.

VE3TSV likes this.
  3. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Cause they sell the FT4XR still.

AG5DB and K8XG like this.
  4. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yet it seems the FT-2D has decent audio over the 1D and 3D; likely due to a larger case. I solved the audio issue on my 3D buy removing the rubber plug on the bottom right side held on with a screw. Now the Bass comes thru.

5. AE4CH

AE4CH Ham Member QRZ Page

My FT3DR audio is at least as clear as the static heard on the repeater. It is even better through the handheld microphone. IT sounds great in my car audio system via Bluetooth.

The number 4 in Japanese is the same sound as the word for death.

6. N5HXR

N5HXR Ham Member QRZ Page

Calling it 4 would be unlucky in Japan, like calling it the FT13D in the west?

They are a Japanese company after all.

Though I guess there is the FT4X...

7. VK4JJY

VK4JJY Ham Member QRZ Page

It’s to improve quality at lower volume. To avoid clipping. I’ve never used my FT3D full volume. It sounds bad at normal.
    FT3D is 700mW audio, so it’s not a big difference anyway.

The real problem is the small waterproof enclosure. Many people were satisfied with the FT3D audio if they opened one of the plug hole flaps, but that does defeat the purpose of an IPX rating.

8. N1ZZZ

N1ZZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You can go old-school and order it over a phone patch.

KI5PLE likes this.
  9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Small speaker + small H-T case = BAD audio quality. An external speaker (of reasonable quality) will let one know if the real problem is the quality of the audio circuit itself, or simply a bad speaker/case combination. Many amplifiers (esp. small, low power ones) actually have MORE distortion @ low levels than they do at "full" power; then again, "full power" is measured @ 10% distortion, something NONE of us would (or will) tolerate.

10. EI4IYB

EI4IYB Ham Member QRZ Page

You are right. I checked the Yaesu Japanese site to see if they had more info on the FT5D and I didn't see the FT4X among their HTs which makes me think they might have marketed it in Japan under a different name.