Gates BC1-G available

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by K4KYV, Apr 4, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Charles, good eye there, that got you an R390A. Yes, yours would be lovingly known as a "mongrel," having seen the repair depot maybe more than a few times over the years. The bench guy would swap modules to quickly get the radio back in service, then later fix the problematic module for the next recipient. So, you've got a composite among all the contractors that made the R390A. By contrast, comparisons to the AKC has led to the nickname "purebred" for examples that have all the modules from the same manufacturer. No big deal, functionally, but sometimes it can indicate the kind of life the radio has had. The Cosmos PTO, in my experience, is just as good as the Collins once it's aligned and taken care of.

KC8VWM likes this.
  2. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

You Da MAN!!

3. WB5HAK

WB5HAK Ham Member QRZ Page

My last post on this thread, but I do have the BC-1G "home" now and even unloaded in my shop. I'll post progress later, but since it has been sitting nearly a year, it needs LOTS of cleaning, so don't expect much until next fall. Looks like a great project.
    Don, WB5HAK

KC8VWM and KD2ACO like this.
  4. KB4MC

KB4MC Ham Member QRZ Page

Darn...wish I had had a place to put IT and the ANTENNA!

5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad to hear it found a good home. :)

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Coupla things to think about for the future.

20' and 40' shipping containers as used on ships from China, etc are often sold at very reasonable prices and there is loads of info on dressing them up for wife and neighbors.

For those in the boonies, Over The Road (OTR) trailers that will not pass inspections can be found with a little work. I picked up a 48' for $350 delivered (about 35 miles and off Craigslist) a few years ago. It sits back about 250' from the road and blends in well with the 180' Rohn 45G:rolleyes: which I have to climb soon as the 160/80 inverted V's didnt survive the multiple very strong wind storms up on this hilltop, the hill effect updrafts combining with the straight on winds is a killer.

About 25 years ago I picked up a complete and clean 2nd contract Collins R390A and the only thing Collins was the main frame and ID plate. Then spent a few more years buying sorry looking others or just modules for parts and wound up with an all Collins radio with close serial numbers. Cobbled together a few of the remains into excellent performers (I did some USN tender duty (floating depot for the landlubbers) in the 60's so it all came back fast, and sold it all on Fleabay for a lot more than I expected.

Carl

KC8VWM likes this.