ad: vanity

Gates BC-1G for sale

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W9BHI, Aug 28, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If I could have lifted it, I would have bought it. A Johnson Ranger is about all I can handle weight wise.

K0UO likes this.
  2. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you could lift and carry a 1KW tube AM rig by yourself you'd likely not be a ham.

AD5HR likes this.
  3. W8KHK

W8KHK Ham Member QRZ Page

Most serious AM'ers can lift a BC-1G, but it takes two to lift a Raytheon.

4. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Na na na; it takes two to just lift the power and Modulation transformers from a Ratheon R-1000. :D

Pheel

WZ5Q likes this.
  5. W8KHK

W8KHK Ham Member QRZ Page

I recall carrying several of the smaller items from that Raytheon in Iowa up the steps..... Subchassis, panels, coils, meters, etc. All the while Dennis was carrying one transformer after another up those steep steps. We looked at two big ones on the basement floor, but we were winded, so we took a break and headed to a downtown restaurant. When we returned, that big iron had levitated itself up the steps and was ready to load into the TFO Mercedes. Yes, there are Angels that look after the AMers.

I declare it is time for another ROAD TRIP!

6. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

You must be talking about the modulation transformer, not the whole rig. The 1-T weighs in at 900 lbs, and the 1-G is basically the same transmitter with cosmetic changes. One man could carry two BC-1T or G modulation transformers, one under each arm. It would take two to lift a RA-1000 modulation transformer or the stock modulation transformer from a BC-1-F.

7. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember being surprised that the heaviest piece of iron in the 1G as far as I was concerned, was the swinging choke. Last summer I helped move a CCA 1000D, a rig built surprisingly well physically, for a 1 KW AM line that started production in 1967. Big heavy beefy iron. Nothing barely making it from "value engineering."

8. WA3GIN

WA3GIN Ham Member QRZ Page

Gates is still for sale...

9. W9BHI

W9BHI Ham Member QRZ Page

Gates BC-1G has been sold.
    Thanks to all who replied.

W1TRY likes this.
  10. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page