Gates BC-1G for sale

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W9BHI, Aug 28, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I have heard this transmitter on the air and it's sweet. I have no idea why BHI is selling it.

FLEEP

2. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

He wrote that it's only been on 1350 kc.

W2BTK likes this.
  3. W9BHI

W9BHI Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to read the previous posts.
    This is not the one on my QRZ page.

W2BTK likes this.
  4. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Ahhhh. I did. Just forgot that I did.

5. W2VW

W2VW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I listened on 1350 for this transmitter. It sounds really good. BHI really speaks Spanish well too.

W2BTK likes this.
  6. W9BHI

W9BHI Ham Member QRZ Page

The BC-1G has found a new home.

7. WA3GIN

WA3GIN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, did you ever sell the 1G? I didn't see a SOLD sign?

8. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Don sold it to me. It was a box that ran perfectly on 1350 with 8008s that looked beautiful. I bought it fully intending to put it on 160 m. Over time, it became clear that there were no decent ways of getting the rig into my basement shack or running it remotely. We considered gutting the cabinet and sawing it in half to move it, after drilling bolt holes along the cut then bolting the halves together with flat stock cross pieces and putting everything back in. It would have been a hell of a job and I eventually realized it wasn't going to happen. Last summer K9YQQ offered to build a 160 m. rig in a 5 foot tall rack using many parts from the BC1G and I jumped at the offer. I would have loved to be one of the fortunate hams with a walk out basement, or above grade out building garage where you can just roll in a broadcast rig and run it, but the folks who built my house in 1930 weren't thinking about radio stations. I even considered hiring a contractor to open up the back of my house and putting in a hydraulic lift.

9. WA4JK

WA4JK Ham Member QRZ Page

The Question is has Borgi finished the 160m rig and do you have it on the air??

10. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

He finished it in no time last fall. But due to a series of unfortunate events and decisions which in hindsight were wrong, it's still in storage and not on the air.