ad: w5yi

Gap 20 Meter Antenna good or bad

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W9EMM, Mar 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W9EMM

W9EMM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Has anyone used the Gap 20 meter vertical antenna? If you have what can you tell me about the antenna? I have seen both good and bad things about it, from poor instructions to it do not work well; to it is a great antenna.

Thanks

2. NK7Z

NK7Z XML Subscriber QRZ Page

W9EMM and K3XR like this.
  3. W9EMM

Thanks your review is one that I have seen it while searching. It is more than a review it is more like the needed instructions.
    Jim 73s

4. NK7Z

Thanks, I try and share what I learn... I have been using a 6BTV of late, and been very happy with it. 40 radials, ground mounted. Notes at:
    https://www.nk7z.net/notes-on-tuning-a-6btv/
    Good luck in your antenna quest...

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

6. NK7Z

Thank you!

7. W9EMM

I have another question for you would it work well mounted on a roof the the counterpoise running down the slope of the roof?
    Jim 73s

8. NK7Z

I would think so... The Gap Challenger, and the 30 Mono are not really a vertical monopoles, they are vertical dipoles, (so they do not need the full radial system as a monopole would). The radials the Gap 30, and GAP Challenger come with, (these are the only two GAPS I have owned), are not a radial system in the traditional sense.

I would assume the 20 mono is built similarly to the 30 mono Gap, and if so, then elevating them should not be an issue.

AK5B likes this.
  9. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

From that page:

May I ask where you found that information?

10. NK7Z

I spoke to one of the folks at NewTronix. They indicated that the antenna tuning dimensions are for no radials.