Gander VOLMET newly silent at 3485/6604/10051 kHz -- permanently?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W9BRD, Jun 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

For decades I've been accustomed to tuning down to 10051 from 30 m and 3485 from 80 m at hour+20 and hour+50 for Gander VOLMET aviation weather. As of yesterday, silence. Anyone know if that's another shortwave entity "gone dark," as New York VOLMET did within the past five years?

K0UO likes this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the update but I'm very sorry to hear that I've used to 10,051 USB for years.
    French vol is flight & météo is weather

Hopefully it's a maintenance problem but they may be shutting the system down, so many are.

3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One of my best QSL cards was from the VOLMET station in Dakar, Senegal when I was a kid (pre-ham). I made up a return card with the red and blue stripes around the edge and probably didn't send any return postage. Maybe an IRC?
    It came back covered with official rubber stamps and a variety of postage stamps. Cool!

W7UUU, W4HWD, KA4DPO and 2 others like this.
  4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

"Gander Radio" is still there. Just copied this morning on 10051 kHz USB. Here is a short clip.

N8ZL and K3XR like this.
  5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K0UO likes this.
  6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No joy on 6, 10Mhz here in Kansas.

Gander VOLMET active on 13,264Mhz at 1600z, 11:00 am CDT. RS 5 and 5 with slight QSB.

K0UO and KK4NSF like this.
  7. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

They are on my regular "propagation check" list of stations.... and were up and running a few days ago. I'll listen out for them this evening, and confirm KAOHCPs report. Remember, we had a small solar event this week, so it may be that they just weren't coming through.

N8ZL and K3WGI like this.
  8. W7IMM

W7IMM Ham Member QRZ Page

While it's unlikely these Volmet broadcasts will stop in the immediate future, it's probably not going to be "forever".

The current move in long range communications is "away" from HF SSB because of the unreliability. Position reporting has become pretty much automated initially using CPDLC via HF digital messaging and will continue using UHF/microwave via satellite.

Right now, the vast majority of position reporting on the Hawaii, NAT (North Atlantic) and other major over-water Tracks is via CPDLC. The pilots use HF SSB only to do a quick radio and SELCALL "check" then they turn off the HF audio.

When they approach VHF range of the "other side" they're told (via text-message) to contact the controller on VHF. The only reason you hear some major airlines giving HF position reports now is that the airplane they're flying either doesn't have CPDLC installed (yet) or it's not working.

They also don't need to listen to Volmet broadcasts to get the weather for their destination or alternate or any other place for that matter. They can use ACARS (digital message system) to get weather and NOTAMS for anyplace they require.

And for anyone that wonders......there's also no Navigators or Radio Operators flying in transport aircraft anymore....(The USAF still has a few navigators but they're only there to help with the "bag-drag" and verify the crew meals ......you have to watch them though, or they'll eat your lunch!)

WW2PT likes this.
  9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I presume GA aircraft capable of those routes largely has not yet installed the newer tech, is that correct?

10. W7IMM

W7IMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Many probably already have it. But there's even a lot of airliners and some military aircraft that don't.(yet) it's still fairly new.

There's not a lot of "GA" aircraft capable of extended over water operations that cannot get access to CPDLC equipment
    In many cases, GA aircraft have access to the most modern "stuff" before even the airlines get it on a large scale.

At some point, the FAA(and the ICAO) will probably mandate use of CPDLC for all operations in certain over water tracks.

The same thing applies to RVSM (Reduced Vertical Separation Minimum) Now, only aircraft that can comply with the requirements of RVSM can operate at altitudes where RVSM is in effect.....and if an aircraft becomes incapable due to a malfunction, ATC will likely direct them out of it to a lower altitude.

GA aircraft that cannot comply with the RVSM airspace requirements cannot operate in it. (it requires special altimeters, pitot static systems and other stuff to comply)

I'll also add (so as to stay with the OP original thread) that the use of HF for aircraft use will dwindle (like it has for Marine use) and become a "backup" communications system and weather "broadcasts" as a whole will become pretty much unnecessary. When that happens, the money will dry up to keep them going.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    N0TZU likes this.