Gallagher's Latest Screed

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6UV, Jan 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Doesn't Gallagher have better things to do than editorialize about how television programs depict amateur radio and hams? I thought his "Open Letter" hatchet job on N6VHF was dumb, but this one is just plain hilarious.

He must not get on the air much (if at all) if he's never heard "handle" used on the ham bands. I hear it frequently, as in "handle here is Joe". The use of handle predates CB by a number of years, so his equating it to good buddy, bears, and green stamps is just plain out of touch and wrong.

Then he climbs further up on his high horse declaring handles as "belonging to lesser practitioners than ourselves". Can the guy be more full of himself? Apparently not, because according to him there's a "real distinction between the great mass of the unlicensed and those who have passed a series of examinations". Never mind that the answers to those exams are published and many, if not most, of the lofty hams he's referring to memorized the answers in order to pass these horrendously difficult exams. Not.

Another point where he's wrong--ham's are socially awkward, but not in the way he's thinking. They're often fat, smelly, and unkempt, and in a way that makes them socially awkward. They're not socially awkward in the way The Big Bang Theory depicts physicists and engineers as socially awkward. He then brings up a list of politicians, musicians, and actors as if that were in any way representative of the vast majority of hams. Hardly.

He then wastes more ink pointing out that television often takes artistic license. Well, duh! And "NCIS Newington"? Excuse me for a moment while I go retch.

Sumner at least had a dignified and moderate style in his editorials. I'm looking forward to Gallagher's next howler--he's great entertainment.

N6VHF, W5WN and N7ZAL like this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

...but he will never compete with the 'Z forums. We had that NCIS thing completely chewed up long before he got a hold of it... ;)

W5WN likes this.
  3. KW4GT

KW4GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't realize Gallagher was into ham radio. Wow, cool!!!!

(And yes, he IS a great entertainer)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    N2EY, K5ITM, W5WN and 1 other person like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Who is Gallagher? o_O

Dave
    W7UUU

5. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Seriously? He's the "CEO" of the ARRL and, as such, writes the monthly editorial in QST.

6. KK4ZYM

KK4ZYM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ARRL CEO Tom Gallagher

7. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Oooooh, that Gallagher.

I'm in.

8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I couldn’t even read more than a few paragraphs of that editorial.

Let’s just say that if he is trying to make the case that he belongs on the ARRL Board... this didn’t help matters. Not one, single bit.

As my grandfather, God rest his soul, used to say... What a putz.

N2EY, WZ7U and W5WN like this.
  9. W5WN

W5WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well stated. I couldn't agree more.

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Handle" goes back about 150 years in American terminology. I have seen it used in movies about the Old West ("cowboy" movies) depicting life between the Civil War and the turn of the century, and the screenwriters didn't just make this stuff up.

But anyway...I never use that term in hamming. I say, "Name here is..." on phone or OP STEVE on CW. I used to say, "Handle here is loose, but when I find my screwdriver I'll fix that" but not many seemed to get it.:p

N2EY and WZ7U like this.