Galaxy V Transceiver Question

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB9BXT, Nov 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW- The 1953 Hudson Hornet Twin Power was the fastest US made car in the USA. 0-60 time was 12.9 seconds. The only contender in 1953 was the Oldsmobile 88 Rocket V8 that went 0-60 in 14 seconds. The larger Cadillac V8 engine made more power, but the heavy car took 14.1 seconds to go 0-60.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    K2XT likes this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting. I did no research in attempt to confirm any of that, but seems plausible enough.

Funny part is, those times are pretty "slow" by today's standards, but when we hit the highways it doesn't matter much.:p Some EVs today can do 0-60 in two seconds. So, if I had one of those, I could get up to freeway speed in two seconds, then sit in traffic like everyone else.:)

N2EY likes this.
  3. WB2WIK

Re the Galaxy V, get it going and keep it going!

I remember "selling" those back in the late 60s and early 70s when I worked for a big ham radio store in NJ (long gone), and people liked them. The VFO dial drive system was smooth like Swans, and they worked. I never owned one.

WRL sold them new, we took them in trade for other gear and re-sold the trade-ins. Many of them! But there was nothing wrong with them, just hams are fickle consumers and trade stuff in a lot for other stuff they may trade in later.:p

The amazing number of fairly new but used rigs we see on the market today are nothing new; just the internet makes them more widely advertised.

KA0HCP likes this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Silky smooth! It was nothing more than a cascaded pair of Jackson Bros drives. Dunno what Swan did. It was quite the treat in its day. And that soft colored dial lighting. Yummy.
    Some people say they are ugly but I don't agree.

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For those not familiar, here is the Galaxy V Mk3

[​IMG]

KP4SX likes this.
  6. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Leo was 'flying high' in that fancy Hudson convertible.

7. WB2WIK

Gee, our old LaSalle ran great. Those were the days.:p

8. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Mk2 Special Package from April 1968, 73 Magazine!

$519 in 1968 = $3,788 in 2018!

WRL Galaxy V.png

KP4SX likes this.
  9. KP4SX

I may have lied. I was looking at pix of mine and I see a gear in there so I think it was gearing plus one JB vernier drive.
    vfo_overall_view.jpg

KA0HCP likes this.
  10. KP4SX

Here's my setup from ~15 years ago. 2002. With the Console!
    MVC-808F.JPG

W7UUU and KA0HCP like this.