Galaxy V Transceiver Question

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB9BXT, Nov 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WB9BXT

WB9BXT Ham Member QRZ Page

I picked up an old Galaxy V xcvr and I opened it up to start the cleaning process and found a very inetersting band switch gearing mechanism.

I'm wondering of it is factory stock or if someone modified it.

Here's a YouTube video of it:

Anyone out there in ham world that can comment on this?

Thanks, and 73!

Roger, WB9BXT

2. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

cThe machining requited for the switxh control (knob) and metal strip is too complicated to be a mod. It is likely stock.

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

90 seconds of Google images work shows the bandswitch mechanism is original....

[​IMG]

WB5YUZ likes this.
  4. WB9BXT

WB9BXT Ham Member QRZ Page

William...that's a great picture. Thanks for that.

My Galaxy V is very crowded in that area with a circuit board and several electrolyte caps.

Roger, WB9BXT

KA0HCP likes this.
  5. KA0HCP

Leo Meyerson (W0GFQ) was known for making rapid changes to his designs, as well as using whatever economical parts became available during production runs. Consequently, it is common to find differences between two radios, of even the same model, which may not be fully documented on schematics. All part of the fun of restoring. Enjoy! b.

6. KA0HCP

Some info on Leo Meyerson, W0GFQ-sk....
    Leo lived to be 100 years old and died in 2011. His friends threw him a poolside birthday party with a bikini clad girl dancer for his 97th.

Leo operated under several company names, primarily World Radio Laboratories also known as "WRL". His major line of radios for years were the "Globe" models. Later his transitorized transceivers were the "Galaxy" line. During WWII he produced crystals for military radios and was awarded an "E" for excellence by the War Department.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leo's 97th Birthday Party
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leo enjoying retirement.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    K2XT, W4RAV and W7UUU like this.
  7. N8FVJ

Wow- Leo had a Hudson Hornet convertible.

8. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Leo was also "sharp" even in his later days.

He was a good friend of a good friend of mine who put me in E-Mail contact with Leo a couple of years before he died. I had a question about my "unique" WRL Globe Champion 350A. It has the cabinet (non "shadow") like the 350 and the "A" was added to the model number on the front panel. However, the circuitry was definitely from the later model 350A.

Leo explained that, after the Globe Champion 350A was discontinued, they got a firm order for 5 units and Leo was not going to turn down business. There were several of the older cabinets in stock as well as the panels for the 350. So, those parts were used to make the last 5 350A units manufactured. As such, my Globe Champion 350A is definitely one of the very last units made.

Glen, K9STH

9. N8FVJ

I always liked the 350. Never found one.

10. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

It’s original.