GALAXY R 530 REPAIR NEEDED TO PLL

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KB3HOG, Sep 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KB3HOG

KB3HOG Ham Member QRZ Page

I HAVE A PRESTINE GALAXY R530 RECEIVER AND THE PLL IS LOCKED AND WILL NOT RECEIVE, NEED A TECHNICANS HELP! PLEASE CONTACT MARC AT FREILICHMST@AOL.COM

2. W5RKL

W5RKL Ham Member QRZ Page

Marc,

Using all caps means you are "shouting".

There is a Red PLL Unlock indicator lamp on the upper right corner of
    the frequency dial. Is that light on? If so then the PLL is "Unlocked" not "Locked".

PLL is short for "Phase Lock Loop"

A PLL system has 2 states

Locked is where all oscillators are working, the PD (Phase Detector) see's the oscillators
    in phase during its phasing task, and in the case of the R530 receiver, the receiver is receiving.

Unlocked is where the PD has detected a "Phasing" problem during it's Phase comparison
    check. The PD attempts to fix this phasing problem by applying a low DC voltage to the variator
    diode oscillator. If this does not fix the Phasing problem after a period of time, the PD shuts
    down the variator diode oscillator placing the PLL system in an Unlocked state resulting in
    no receive. The PLL system will remain in an Unlocked state until the phasing problem has
    been fixed.

The R530 manual has several pages along with block diagrams that discuss how the R530 PLL
    system works. What's missing in the manual I found at Bama, is "Figure 10". I don't know if
    the schematic is Figure 10 as it's not labeled. I doubt the schematic is Figure 10 since Figure
    10 lists the Spectrum oscillator frequencies which are not listed on the schematic.

If the Red Unlock light is on then I suspect one of the oscillators has failed.

If anyone has the complete Galaxy R530 manual containing "Figure 10" and can make a clean
    copy, please send it to me at my home page emaila ddress.

Mike W5RKL
    https://www.w5rkl.com

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  3. KB3HOG

KB3HOG Ham Member QRZ Page

hi mike, thanks for your reply! can you tell me do you have experience repairing this type radio, thanks marc

4. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Mike-

If you find complete, please send me a copy and I will update BAMA

73, -bob

5. W5RKL

W5RKL Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay Bob. So far I have not received anything on the Galaxy R530 receiver.

Mike W5RKL
    https://www.w5rkl.com