G5RV Pro ZS6BKW antenna question

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KY4JW, May 31, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KY4JW

KY4JW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi I am KY4JW James in Monticello,ky and I had bought a new G5RV Pro ZS6BKW dipole today. I had done lots of youtube videos and it looked like the best choice for me. I am having trouble with it and wondered if you could give some advice on what I may be doing wrong. The only band that works is 40 meters (usa).

The SWR is

3.800 – 30.0 +

7.091 – 1.0

13.859 – 1.7

17.783 - 1.8

21.472 – 9.6

24.457 – 3.4

28.189 – 3.7

49.558 – 4.0

You will notice that most of these are below the US amatur bands. My tower is 48 feet high and I stll have about 3 feet of latterline on the ground but I belive if the latter line was two long it would not be working on 40 meters. Can you give some advice? The latter line is about 2 feet from the tower legs. There is no 80 meters but I am not worried to much about that band. I would love to have it work on 40,17,12, and 50 meters. I have the other band covered. I am sending you some photos to help.. Can you help?

Attached Files:

2. DL9NBJ

DL9NBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

K8PG, VA3QY and K2WPM like this.
  3. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You cannot simply lay the excess length of line on the ground. This is probably (almost certainly?) covered in the instructions for your antenna.

If you have excess ladder line, make a coil out of it and suspend the coil from a rope, a la Cecil, W5DXP:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  4. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

From one ad I surmised that the antenna is a ZS6BKW design, NOT a G5RV (despite that being
    in its product title).

It should work on 80M, 40M and 20M and perhaps another band or two.

The ladder feed line should NOT be lying on the ground but be at least several inches
    from any surface or metal structure. I'd start by fixing this.

WB5YUZ likes this.
  5. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Below: Smith charts showing which bands are favored by the ZS6BKW, thanks again to Cecil:

[​IMG]

6. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

James, Some thing wrong with your ~51ft long ladder line length... I have scratch built three ZS6BKWs for different applications, and based on extensive simulations, the ladder line comes out 40.7ft (Wireman (JSC) #552).

Read the linked posting. It will show what the ZS6BKW is capable of... I used the one I built for our summer home just this morning on 40m. Had good signals to LA, Tuscon, Salt Lake from AB.

Measure the lengths of ladder line and wire, and compare it to those in my posting.

What are you using between the coax and twin-lead?

K0UO and K2WPM like this.
  7. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

... oops

8. 2E0VSS

2E0VSS Ham Member QRZ Page

Comments of “the G5RV is dead” is not helping ...and extremely unfortunate.
    The G5RV is certainly better on 80 metres and many hams like 80 metres so please refrain from using throw away Ill advised comments as a couple of posts above...
    M

9. DL9NBJ

DL9NBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Take a look on the very interesting smith chart. (Who made this? I want it on my Website.) The ZS6BKW has 5 resonances within an SWR of 2. The G5RV has none. If you need a good 80 m Antenna, build a mono band dipole, but never build an G5RV with an SWR from 4-5 on 80 m. The G5RV is obsolete. The ZS6BKW is the Multiband Antenna, the G5RV is the no Band Antenna, maximum a one band antenna. What is a G5RV Pro ZS6BKW Antenna?

10. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably a crap antenna with misleading advertising.

DL9NBJ and W4HWD like this.