G5RV or OFCD Windom

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KF5LJW, Apr 12, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Remodeled the house and had a 40/20/10 meter fan dipole in the attic but was tore up by contractors.

Anyway Going to put up another wire antenna except this time outside, higher using a couple of trees. I have room for full size G5RV, but honestly only really work 40/20/10.

So question is which one to use? Windom or G5RV?

After reading up on them does not seem to be a lot of difference. I do have a tuner.

2. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A standard G5RV is not a very good antenna for 10m unless precautions can be taken to keep the coax run very short. In addition, matching such an antenna on 10m is beyond the ability of many built-in or other auto-tuners (and indeed, many good manual tuners, as well).

A ZS6BKW is probably a better choice for 40-20-10m operation. However, it will not work well on 15m, and 10m will be less and less useful over the next few years, meaning 15m will be a good band to have...

As far as the "Windom" is concerned, you are almost certainly not talking about a true Windom, which uses single-wire feeder. So, it would be helpful if you could tell us which manufacturer's Windom you are considering; otherwise, we cannot tell exactly what kind of antenna you are talking about.

Remember, manufacturer's claims of "all-band" operation are often subject to exaggeration! If the manufacturer specifies a minimum length of coax to be used with an "all-band" antenna, you should investigate the antenna type on your own to determine if it really will work well on the bands in question.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    S52ON, K0UO and KD6RF like this.
  3. AA9SD

AA9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never used a G5RV so I can't comment but my current antenna is an OCF dipole from RadioWavz designed for 40/20/10 meters. With the tuner in my rig (not an external tuner) I can use it on all bands 40 to 10 meters. I've made contacts on all bands so it does work (though probably very inefficiently on 30, 17 and 12). I also have a Carolina Windom that I haven't installed yet. I'm in an HOA and have to be stealthy with my antenna so a wire dipole works for me.

K0UO likes this.
  4. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

What would be wrong with another fan dipole? Higher and free of external influences, it should be a great antenna. A quarter wave ground plane vertical would be a fine complement as step 2. After milking those two for all they are worth, you can begin to think about an antenna with directionality and higher gain. What fun you will have!

K0UO, AI3V and AA7QQ like this.
  5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

You can say that again brother. :)

In fact, just about anything can be used as an "all-band" antenna for that matter.

They work, but when you study their actual level of efficiency, that is another matter.

However, I often find some of the most simple, classic, and most elegant antenna designs, often work out to be the best "all-band" antennas.

Look at this one for example.

http://www.w5dxp.com/33ftdipT/33ftdipT.HTM

It's even rotatable! ...Do you have any idea how much difference a simple rotatable all band antenna can make?

K0UO likes this.
  6. KF5LJW

Well honestly I thought the Windom was a design many manufactures make like G5RV. All I have seen are OFCD models. Perhaps I should answer your question with another question. What type would work best for 40/20/10?

All I have seen like the G5RV come in different lengths to cover all the down to 160 meters which I have not much interest in, but If the longer versions will work better on 40/20/10 I think I have room for it.

7. KF5LJW

The difficulty getting it up as opposed to a single wire and wife's objection.

8. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't help you with the "Windom." I haven't read up much on those; but I do know the true Windom was designed many years ago when single-wire feed was common, and it did use single-wire feed. Antennas that are called "Windoms" today are really just off-center-fed dipoles. Their manufacturers call them "Windoms" to cash in on the mystique of the original antenna. I am pretty sure none of the commercially manufactured "Windoms" available today uses single-wire feed!

As for the G5RV, the ZS6BKW I mentioned earlier is a version of the G5RV that will work well on 40-20-10m.

9. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

The 51 ft G5RVjr will work well on 40/20/10 with a good wide range tuner. If you have room for a 92 ft antenna, I also recommend the ZS6BKW fed with 40 ft of ladder-line through a 1:1 choke. Mine doesn't need a tuner for 6 HF bands.

http://w5dxp.com/ZS6BKW80/ZS6BKW80.HTM

10. AI6KX

AI6KX Ham Member QRZ Page

My G5RV jr works well on 15. about 4:1 SWR and easily handled by an ATU. I guess I missed the memo that it wouldn't work...