G5RV or Hustler 6BTV

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by AK4BM, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. AK4BM

AK4BM Ham Member QRZ Page

G5RV or Hustler 5BTV

I have some extra money coming and am in the market for a real HF antenna.

I've tried a long wire with radials, and haven't had much luck.

So I'm looking at either a dipole (g5RV) or a vertical (hustler 5btv).

I don't have room and don't want to put up a tower, so a beam is out.

All opinions welcome.

Robbie

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  2. N6ATA

N6ATA Ham Member QRZ Page

How long of a G5RV can you put up?

How do you think you would install the 5BTV? Ground or Roof?

73, Steve KI6OQU

3. W6ONV

W6ONV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been very please with my 6BTV I have used for nearly 2 years before deciding to upgrade to a new vertical (SteppIR Big MkIII). Unfortunately, I did put quite a bit of money into the 6BTV in order to get it working as best I could for my given conditions.

I am in an HOA controlled neighborhood and this was really the only option I had. Although I did run a 40' multiband wire antenna the length of our back yard fence at 18'. It worked, not well, but it did work. The 6BTV was ground mounted with 45 radials at it's peak. I also bought the radial plate, tilt base and the vertical feedpoint current choke, all from DX Engineering. Aside from all of that you must have a strong radials system in order to have luck with this or any other vertical. If you have the room, then go for it.

I can't speak for the G5RV, I have read comments on both sides. If you want to read more about the 6BTV I have quite a news stories on my web site, linked below under Ham Radio. To date I think I worked 55 counties, 49 states. I worked mainly 20m, but had good luck on 30m and 40m...even snuck in one 80m contact. LOL...it doesn't work well on 80. Period.

Good luck!

4. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The BTV series antennas work well. I've avoided the 6BTV because it really needs guys to support it, and I'd rather avoid that. The 5BTV doesn't usually require them. I've ground mounted them and roof mounted them, and the roof mounted ones with 3 1/4 wave radials for each band will outperform the ground mounted ones. Indeed, they work really well on 40 meters, and adequately on the other bands.

The G5RV is really not magical. It's a good 20 meter antenna if you get it high enough in the air. It's a so-so 40 meter antenna, and OK on 80.

I'd choose the BTV, myself.

5. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

My opinion,

Either antenna will require a external tuner to cover all the bands, especially 80M.

If you have to use a tuner, why bother with anything other than a "straight" dipole or un-trapped vertical?

Either a dipole, at least 1/2 wave long at the lowest frequency you are interested in,fed with ladderline and a in shack tuner.

Or a vertical, at least 1/4 wave at the lowest frequency, with a autotuner at the base, minimum 2 radials 1/4 wave long if mounted at least 1/10 wavelength above ground, or a dozen buried if ground mounted.

Rege

6. AK4BM

I do have an auto tuner already (LDG Z-11 Pro).

For the vertical, I was planning on mounting it about 10 feet up off of the corner of the covered deck. I have four buried radials, and at least two more in the works.

I can get the G5RV up at the full length, as my back fence is about 150 -160 feet long. I would like to avoid stringing ladder line from the house to the back of the yard.

Thanks for the help so far.

7. N6ATA

N6ATA Ham Member QRZ Page

Just my opinion, but i have the 5BTV on the roof with elevated radials. The thing works better than it is supposed to. I would elevate the radials for a mount 10' high. In 2 years, I have worked 50 states and 27 countries with it at 100 watts.

Cheers! Steve KI6OQU

8. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Definitely put up a Hustler BTV series (4, 5, or 6) AND a GOOD radial system!
    Realize that at 40 and expecially 80 meters -- vertical antennas are quite NARROW in bandwidth --
    a 50 to 60 kHz segment of the entire 500 kHz band on 80 meters is typical !!

However, IF you really want a performer for 40 and 80 meters .. then build a 40/80 meter dipole.
    http://www.qsl.net/ta1dx/amator/practical_dipole_antenna.htm
    You can shorten overall length a bit by building/using the Unadilla W2AU/W2VS Trap Dipole.
    http://www.unadilla.com/antkit.htm
    http://www.unadilla.com/traps.htm
    This is the antenna that we sucessfully use on our Field Day operations (CW and SSB stations) up at 30 to 40 feet.

The G5RV is a 20 meter antenna ... sadly is believed (falsely) to be a magical all-band antenna! Okay if you are looking for 20, 15, 10 meter operation.

NU3E, build it yourself
    http://degood.org/coaxtrap/

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/Trapped.html

w9gb

9. W6ONV

W6ONV Ham Member QRZ Page

A tuner? Really? After I got the traps tuned I did not use my LDG Z-100. I took it out of the line. Actually, there was info on here that finally made the decision for me. I did not need the tuner, as the 6BTV did a good job.

10. AK4BM

Alright, I've been convinced to go with the Hustler.....now I just have to work on radials!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.