ad: SDRKits-1

G5rv configuration and performance problem

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KE0BXN, Mar 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

JUR:

It seems that 3V is not responding!

Of course, such does not happen everywhere, in fact, even in places where static electricity builds up enough to get these arcs, they do not happen all the time. It is just the fact that arcs do happen, in enough places, that precautions do need to be taken to prevent damage "just in case". It is not expensive to take precautions to prevent damage, just a few dollars at most.

In the Dallas, Texas, area, it is humid enough most of the year that wind static is not a real problem. However, there are definitely times when the humidity drops and the wind increases to produce the Van der Graaf effect that causes the electricity to be formed. Also, the higher, above ground level, that the antenna is located the more likely that the static electricity is going to reach a high enough level to be problematic.

Such static electricity was definitely a problem during Operation Desert Shield and even into Operation Desert Storm. The Harris HF SSB equipment suffered almost a universal failure when the U.S. military deployed to Saudi Arabia and started erecting antennas to use the Harris equipment. The Van der Graaf effect, caused by the wind blowing sand across the antennas, resulted in the failure of the receiver "front ends". This could have been a very serious problem because of the lack of communications.

Then, someone remembered that there was a stock of around 100 Colllins KWM-2A transceivers in a warehouse stateside. Those transceivers were rushed through a refurbishment and then sent to Saudi for use in the field. The tube-type receivers did not have problems with the static electricity. Harris had to come up with a "fix", in a hurry, so that their equipment could hold up in the desert conditions.

Again, such static electricity problems do not happen everywhere nor even in some locations all the time. But, such definitely happens and amateur radio operators do need to be aware that it can happen.

Glen, K9STH

2. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh yeah im here Glenn, I still don't believe the video, nothing to say he isn't using a pizeoelectric sparker, like you find in a broken butane lighter.

That's how we mess with the no code extras up at the club:)

Them sky darkening dust storms must be real common in the U.K.

And please Glenn, enough of the desert Storm stories, some of us operated in that neck of the woods way before 911, nobody sent "hundreds" of kwm2 antiques to saudi Arabia to fix , with what is claimed in this thread, a 3 cent resistor can.

You do realize I'm the guy that got sent to try and make work what the Motorola salesman sold to various police departments, and I spent just a bit of time fixing radios on a aircraft carrier, again I got to be the lucky guy to go fix the stuff.

If the afterburner on a phantom jet doesn't cause enough wind to make arcs, I doubt anything in your yard will.

:)

Rege

3. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  4. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, st Elmo's fire is a somewhat rare occurrence at 500kts and 30,000 feet.

On a pl259 at ground level, on a hf dipole?

Ha ha ha.

Rege

5. KC9VFO

KC9VFO Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember W6OBB mentioning on his radio show years ago, he measured 300 volts on his feedline with that huge loop antenna of his.