G5RV as V-Beam?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W7JMO, Sep 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7JMO

W7JMO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm about to install my 1st G5RV as an inverted V but also with each "Flat Top" end angled toward each other somewhere near 90 degrees, likely a little less than that due to space and support constraints on my property. I would like to have the experts here check my logic that it should perform similar to a V-Beam antenna as mostly directional toward the down sloped ends, medium lobes in the opposite direction, and relatively narrow on each with some weak side lobes. Assuming I'm correct in that, I am also wondering what the effect of putting a sloper wire up from a well grounded low feed point to an end that would share the same vertical support point as the center of my inverted V G5RV. I'm hoping that I could switch to using the wire as the antenna if I'm looking to reach out in a direction perpendicular to the main lobes of my G5RV's V-Beam reach. The tall support point would be near 60-70 feet with each lower end of the inverted v no more than 25 ft lower than that. The long wire will be 71 ft. All angles would be as symmetrical as possible. Ged by 35ish ft of 50 ohm coax from a external tuner, with a few 6-8 inch coils just before the feedpoint to G5RV.

How do you think this will perform? Are there any obvious flaws or concerns I'm not considering (aside from departing from the recommended G5RV installation as a linear flat top)? Assuming it works at all, what adjustments/factors should I be focused on to get it to work as well as possible?

Thanks for any theories you are willing to offer! I'll be sure to post an update once I get it all up.

2. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

https://www.qsl.net/kk4obi/Center-fed V-dipoles Lateral.html
    Contrary to popular myth about V-beams, antenna modeling shows that no discernable front-to-back ratio develops at any degree of lateral V-bend in half-wave or full-wave dipoles. Increased signal only applies for 3-halfwave Gull-wing antennas, multi-wavelength V-beams or full rhombic Diamonds.

KA0HCP likes this.
  3. W7JMO

W7JMO Ham Member QRZ Page

That sounds promising, thanks.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, this is a compromised installation due to the inside angle and "gain" will not be accomplished on 80, 40 or 20 meters. It has potential for gain on 10 meters, in one direction of course.

But when life deals lemons, make lemonade.

Right now, and most of the time for the forseable future, 10m isn't important; the G5RV doesn't work well on 10m or 17m or 30m anyway (rather amazing feedpoint mismatch). On the bands where it can work, like 12m, 20m, 40m and a bit of 80m, it works fine.

"Just try it" and let us know how it's working for you.

The antenna up in the air always works better than the one in the box in the garage.:)

WA8FOZ and WA7PRC like this.