G-E VHF crystal

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WB7VUF, Aug 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WB7VUF

WB7VUF Ham Member QRZ Page

I am looking for a transmit crystal for a old G-E vhf radio.
    It uses a type 6 crystal. Any info would be helpful.
    TNX, Lyle WB7VUF

2. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

The judges award a Golden Bogie for the above post. Truly a work of bogarting art!

Let's see.....

- The model number of the radio is not mentioned.
    - The band and frequency desired are not mentioned.
    - Other than "old", the vintage of the radio is not mentioned.
    - There are no pictures nor examples of what a "type 6" crystal is. (HC-6/U?)

I am in awe....

73 de Jim, N2EY

3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah - kinda sparse on the info side :)

Dave
    W7UUU

4. WB7VUF

G-E MODEL MA/E-33B SERIAL NO. AK 7110, THE CRYSTAL IS SC-6, 6122.500 KHZ AT 146.940MHZ.
    LOOKING FOR A 146.520 MHZ, just looking for a place to buy one if at all possible.
    Thanks for the help.

5. WB7VUF

Would post pictures but keeps telling me my file is to large? Only one picture?

6. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

VUF:

Use a graphics program to reduce the size of your photographs to under 1 MB. I have to do this all the time to be able to post photographs. The photo viewer in Microsoft Office can easily accomplish this. I don't know about Open Office or some of the other suites.

Are you looking for a 6105 kHz crystal for transmitting on 146.520 MHz? How about the receive crystal? You are going to need a crystal for that as well.

Crystals are available from off-shore sources. However, they are not cheap! You might find someone stateside that still has such a crystal laying around from back in the late 1960s into the 1970s.

Glen, K9STH

7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ping Bryan AF4K:

http://www.af4k.com/crystals.htm

He very likely can help you out.

Dave
    W7UUU

8. K1ZJH

K1ZJH Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm afraid since International Crystal folded up earlier this year that there a few choices remaining. Had the radio used a common 10.7 MHz IF it may have been possible to find a used scanner crystal. That being said, try these folks:

http://www.quartslab.com/

As Glen said, they are not cheap!

9. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

About prices.....

11 pounds sterling is about US$14 with the current exchange rates.

In the old days, a new, custom made crystal cost about $3. $3 in 1975 inflates to about $14 today.

10. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

When ICM was in business the custom ctystal price was $25 to $30 each.
    The advantage was their large repository — wonder where that radio knowledge went??
    Dumpster?