FYI: Win 10 upgrade on 5/13/18 broke all rig control software and Rigblaster drivers

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC9YGN, May 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just a note that a Win10 update I got today May 13, "broke" all of my rig control and digital mode software, including RigBlaster drivers, FLdigi, HRD and WSJT. Not sure what happened. Spent about an hour trying to trouble shoot the problem and couldn't find what it was. Basically the error messages I was getting indicated the software couldn't find my transceiver, couldn't access the RigBlaster, etc. Tried updating drivers, reinstalling drivers, changing com ports, etc and nothing seemed to work. Finally rolled back to the previous version of Win10 and that restored all of the functionality.

2. N0JI

N0JI Ham Member QRZ Page

I work at a company that makes software. Every few months Microsoft releases an update that wreaks havoc.

KK5JY likes this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Since Win10 patches are mandatory, I'm not sure how you are going to be able to hold that position very long. :(

Long live Linux. :)

4. KC9YGN

I know what you mean. Have a lot of friends in the business and every time MS issues an update it's panic time because they never know if everything is going to work when the systems reboot. I keep telling myself I really need to build a Linux box and move all of my operations over to that and I suppose one of these days I'll have to do that.

WZ7U likes this.
  5. KC9YGN

Yeah, I know. Hopefully by the time I have to do it I'll have figured out what happened. Otherwise, yeah, Linux time.

Come to think of it, FLDIGI will run on one of my Raspberry Pi 3s I think. I should start experimenting with that and see if I can get that going.

KK5JY likes this.
  6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I really liked having Windows 10 at work... it got me a lot of paid break time. ;)

KC9YGN likes this.
  7. KB3MOW

KB3MOW Ham Member QRZ Page

With the April update, many folks have needed to go into Settings/Privacy/Microphone and make sure "Allow Apps to access your microphone". This should fix the sound card problem. You might, at the same time, turn OFF those devices that this activates (immediately below the mic switch) that you don't want on. I know - stupid to call it "microphone", but it does allow the speaker/microphone to work again. Quite possible this will allow using the RigBlaster control as well.

GL es 73
    Dave - KB3MOW

K5URU, W5TTW, KC9YGN and 1 other person like this.
  8. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sitting here wondering if there is a way to "Like" a post (i.e., your comment above), but will settle for once and add that you are a genius. :)

Having gone in circles for many days since the most recent Windows 10 updates with my Flex 6700 and FLDigi (after the digital mode and DAX functionality went south, you have stopped me from pulling out any more of what little hair I have left.

Many thanks again for the assist... I owe you a coffee... or lunch... or something if and when we ever meet. :)

W5TTW likes this.
  9. K5MIL

K5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Windows is really good at breaking stuff, that is why I run Linux.

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

If at first it works, Windoze WILL find a way to break it...

BTW, It took almost an hour and a half to"upgrade," and THAT is on an i7-7700 machine...I suspect i3 machines may be upgraded by Memorial Day.