ad: M2Ant-1

FX-4C compact full feature HF QRP SDR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC8UD, Jul 14, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W9QK

W9QK Ham Member QRZ Page

What do u use for tuning the antenna?
    Thanks

2. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

With this little rig I either use a magnetic loop antenna which tunes with a single capacitor if I change bands or slide way to the other side of the band, or I use my end fed half wave for 80 meters which works on all HF bands and no tuning required.

KN6IPE, K8ZFJ and W9QK like this.
  3. W9QK

W9QK Ham Member QRZ Page

Got u! I didn’t even think of that. Also I guess I can use a QRP antenna that has the tuner already integrated in the matching box of the end fed QRP antenna. I think QRP guys make one that has a tuner built in in the matching unit for their end fed. I’m looking to go small for my bugout bag but not lose the futures of a good radio. Thanks

4. W9QK

W9QK Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone done any kinda testing to see how clean are the transmissions on this little guy? I’m very interested in something like this for my bug out bag.

5. WD5IOI

WD5IOI Ham Member QRZ Page

It's just too small. Why don't they make a full-size version?

6. KN6IPE

KN6IPE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I 2nd that.

Attached Files:

7. N5RPZ

N5RPZ Ham Member QRZ Page

FX-4C is discontinued but you can pre-order the FX-4CR

W6BFK likes this.
  8. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Can we see a schematic of this beautiful radio?

9. W6BFK

W6BFK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use an LDG-Z11 Pro with onboard 9v battery as my qrp tuner. I would prefer a T1, but for more money and a long wait, I make do.

Also ran across a utube vid of an operator using the FX-4C on 2m. His band selection screen included 2m5 and 2m options. He demonstrated receiving a 2m tx from his HT.
    Not sure how he did it. Maybe he modified his firmware? But very very interesting if 2m could be had on the FX-4CR when it comes out.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
  10. KI6LXY

KI6LXY Ham Member QRZ Page

The guy who designed and made this is coming out with a couple updated models. You can pre-purchase them now if you want. Here is where you can check them out. It looks like some great improvements, and a cheaper/lower power model if $550 is too steep for you.

https://bg2fx.com/transceivers-1

I've emailed Yu several times. He's very responsive, and seems like a great ham.

W6BFK likes this.
  11. W6BFK

W6BFK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For QRP, I make every effort to deploy a resonate antenna. At 5 or 10w, getting every bit of signal to leave the property is important. My go to field qrp antenna is a 40/20 trapped dipole. I am building a 40/30/20 linked dipole to carry as well. For that matter I try to stick with resonate antenna's for all my hf operations.

12. AC9YY

AC9YY Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You can order the FX-4CR now and a few people have already received theirs. I ordered mine late in December, so mine has not shipped yet. https://bg2fx.com/fx-4cr-transceiver

Once mine comes in I can do some testing of the unit.

13. W5APL

W5APL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes the FX-4C is a GREAT little radio. Nice screen and very good audio. 10 Watts out shows 12 watts when you turn it up to 10 Watts. I had one and sold it back to seller i got it from. He said he would buy it back if i got ready to sell it. So i got it back from him after i sold all my radios and needed a radio. I'm very happy with this little GEM of a radio. Build like a tank and does the job AAAA++++. Yu at BG2FX has a new model the FX-4CR it does 20 Watts. $550 shipped. Not sure if he has any ready to ship. But only buy from him. Stay away from the ones you see on the net. Only his are the REAL ones.

AC9YY likes this.