ad: vanity

fusion repeator

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KE3LB, Oct 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KE3LB

KE3LB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Can I use my analog radios to work stations on the fusion system .I been copying over seas stations on 2 meter repeator and was wondering if I can work them also . Also WIRES X is that also fusion seems kinda confusing to me . thanks for ant input 73

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

No. Fusion is essentially VoIP - it's using the internet like a telephone. You're not "working DX" - you're making a "long distance phone call over the internet" when you use Fusion or D-Star or whatever. the only RF component is from the radio to the repeater. The rest is just like sending an email or posting in a forum.

Your analog radio can work other analog stations within the RF range of that exact repeater (assuming of course this repeater has analog functions and isn't just an internet portal for Fusion).

But to talk to the "over seas" stations you'll have to use Fusion and "talk to them using the internet"

Hope this helps

Dave
    W7UUU

3. KE3LB

KE3LB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ok thanks for helping me out I guess its like echolink ok thanks

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yessir - same idea for all the digital repeater modes - just different protocols

Dave
    W7UUU

5. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

I am confused. Why is the answer 'No'? Contesting was not mentioned (although possibly implied).

The answer the original question accurately, I would say:

Of course you can. If you can hear them, then you can talk to them. The various powers that govern awards and contesting will not allow such contacts for those purposes, but you certainly can 'work' them.

6. W7UUU

Huh? If they are on Fusion they will not hear your analog signal “over seas”

both ends of the QSI need to be on the same digital protocol

Dave
    W7UUU

7. W4EAE

Fusion repeaters can function as both digital C4FM and analogue FM modes. Some Wires-X nodes are digital only, and some are analogue only. Someone talking in C4FM on a digital node can have a QSO with someone who is using FM on an analogue node.

8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

As far as I can tell all of the Fusion repeaters will work both analog and digital. As UUU indicated that is for stations in range of the repeater. A different story for the internet-connected stations. Other than the novelty of it don't know why anyone would want to use Fusion for local contacts. The audio leaves much to be desired.

9. W4EAE

It seems I need to lay it all out. I have built and maintain such systems as I am about to describe, so this is not conjecture or guess work.

There have been two Yaesu C4FM repeaters released. They quite different, but are the same in that the can function in C4FM, FM, or auto mode. They can only use one or the other of C4FM or FM at the same time. When set in auto mode, they will take the mode of the last received transmission and repeat it using the same mode. So on a given repeater, two guys can talk in FM, or two guys can talk in C4FM.

Wires-X is Yaesu's protocol/network for connecting repeaters over the internet. (Wires has actually been around since before Yaesu ever got into digital).

If a Yaesu repeater running C4FM and HRI-200 is connected to Wires-X room 10010, and another Yaesu repeater running FM and HRI-200 is connected to the same Wires-X room 10010, a C4FM user can speak with an FM user at the other end of the link.

C4FM and FM CANNOT talk locally on a Yaesu repeater.

C4FM and FM CAN talk remotely if each is on a separate repeater.

Probably needless to say, but C4FM can always talk with C4FM; and FM can always talk with FM.

K3XR likes this.