Fun radio picture

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WB0RIO, Sep 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB0RIO

    WB0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

    A friend of a friend recently "dumped" an old Airline 62-403 console radio on me for a small price.
    In researching the docs for that unit, I stumbled across this amusing photo, a Philco Radiobar.
    The photo's from antiqueradio.com. Hmm, high voltage electronics, liquids and drinking,
    what could possibly go wrong?

    The 62-403 is a pretty interesting radio, it features a "movie dial" tuning indicator in which a cylinder of
    microfilm is projected on a front screen, giving a lot more information than is found on a normal tuning dial.
    The dial sections on the amateur radio bands are quite interesting, more on that later...

    PhilcoRadiobar.png
     
    W6ELH, AE7LP, KC8YLT and 4 others like this.
  2. N4MTB

    N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    And just when I was content with all the stuff I have....I have to find one for my shack!!
     
  3. K8ERV

    K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

    That looks just like my mother-in-law.

    TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
     
    AE7LP likes this.
  4. K5MIL

    K5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

    This is one in my collection I restored some years ago.
     

    Attached Files:

    W6ELH likes this.
  5. WB0RIO

    WB0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

    Here are some photos of the aforementioned Airline 62-403 after restoration.
    This is a little off-topic for the boat-anchors category, but the radio would anchor a boat
    nicely and there is some ham-related stuff on the microfilm that is projected onto the
    movie screen (see below). I didn't know that 40 meters was code-only in the late 1930s.

    When I acquired the radio this summer, it was incredibly dusty, the case finish was in
    terrible condition, the power transformer and electrolyic caps were shorted, and there
    were numerous electrical issues with the wiring. And rust on the chassis.
    It was in prime condition for the dumpster ;-)

    Miraculously, I had a roughly equivalent
    power transformer that fit the chassis with some minor filing on the mounting holes.
    An extra transformer had to be added to supply the 24V filament power to the four 6F6
    output tubes. I added a wired ground bus to bypass the rusty tube socket rivets, replaced
    the 5U4 with diodes so that I could use the 5V winding as a primary buck, installed a
    3 wire cord, a fuse, a new power switch and an HV standby switch.

    After getting the radio to function, it was aligned according to the manual and it now works
    quite nicely and also sounds great. I lucked out on the alignment docs, everything I found
    online was unreadable until I stumbled across a closed-listing ad on eBay for an original
    manual that had good photos of the whole document. After a little bit of screen capture magic,
    I had the info needed to do the alignment. The cabinet restoration was the hardest part.

    00011.jpg 00012.jpg 00005.jpg 00006.jpg 00007.jpg 00008.jpg 00009.jpg
     
    AD5HR likes this.

Share This Page