FTM-7250 vs FTM-100DR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by W5LL, Apr 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5LL

W5LL Ham Member QRZ Page

In the market for a new C4FM dual band mobile. Curious if anyone has one of the new FTM-7250s? Or should I go with the FTM-100DR?

73 Matt
    W5LL

2. WC4FM

WC4FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Go with the FTM-100 it is an exceptionally good rig with the APRS , and Wires X node features. The cost is not much more and you will have more enjoyment with it.

3. KT7DAD

KT7DAD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I totally disagree, if APRS is a function you will use, that radio is useless
    I bought it for the dual band/APRS capacity, and feel cheated.
    It can not operate APRS at same time as you use the radio to talk, unlike the Kenwood TM-D710GA.
    Why they would build a mobile VHF/UHF radio with APRS and not make it a true dual band beats me

KD5RJZ likes this.
  4. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed...If you don't need APRS get the 7250. I have one and it is fine for mobile (also have used it base very nicely) and I don't care to know where "he" is or in telling him where I am...I just use it to communicate. Good features and HRO has them on sale for $180 for today only...can't beat that price!

K7JBL likes this.
  5. KB3CO

KB3CO Ham Member QRZ Page

They tell you right up front that it is a single receiver radio. What did you think that meant? The price should also have told you.
    If you want dual Rx you need to get the FTM-300 or FTM-400.

6. KD5RJZ

KD5RJZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree! I bought two of the FTM-100DR when they were released and they are completely unusable for APRS. You will get data bursts while you are attempting to have voice QSOs, as the FTM-100DR is not smart enough to switch back to the other VFO and only transmit APRS data on one frequency. You have to go back to the setup menu and disable APRS every time you want to use the radio for something besides APRS. It's a great C4FM rig and has great audio and the display isn't as obnoxious as the FTM-400, I wound up having to add a second VHF transceiver to both of my mobile rigs with a Mobilink Bluetooth TNC for APRS.

7. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Everyone, please do a little research before you buy a radio.

These forums of full of people complaining that a given radio cannot do something that the manufacturer never claimed it could.