FTM-400XDR - Wires-x won't recognize the radio

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC1HHK, Oct 12, 2018.

?

what is the issue?

1. bad ct-174 cable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. bad set up

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. bad radio

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. me, i'm a stupid idiot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC1HHK

KC1HHK Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently got a FTM-400xdr . I have the CT-174 MiniDIN cable connected to both the radio and to an HRI-200. The HRI-200 is also connected to my PC running Windows 7 with WIRES-X.

I have used the radio to exchange APRS data and to talk on a few repeaters, but have not been able to get it to work as a WIRES-X node. Please help me to troubleshoot this problem as I have exhausted the possibilities I could come up with.

Steps to reproduce the problem:
    With the radio powered on and connected to an antenna...
    and with the radio connected to a powered HRI-200...
    hold down the Dx, GM, and Power buttons until the radio power cycles.

Symptom:
    The radio powers back up and displays the Yaesu WIRES-X splash screen.
    The radio does not make any sound and remains on the splash screen until the sequence above is repeated (which powers the radio on in its standard operating mode).
    While the splash screen is displayed the DISP/Setup button can be pressed to hide and reveal the splash screen, but no other buttons have any visible affect.

Expectation:
    I expect the radio to make three beeps and then move beyond the splash screen to show the status of the WIRES-X node. I have never seen this happen on my radio, but have seen it in YouTube videos.

Is it possible that I have a bad radio? A bad HRI-200? A bad CT-174 cable?
    Am I doing something in the wrong sequence? Do I need to connect the HRI-200 after the radio is put in WIRES-X mode?

2. AI6AK

AI6AK Ham Member QRZ Page

First check and see if the APRS modem is still on. I remember reading (maybe the manual) that said something about the digital mode not working properly if the APRS modem is on. My guess is that it creates a conflict with the GPS.

I didn't vote because this (above) wasn't listed, lol.