ad: w5yi

FTM-400DR APRS

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by N1JWW, Jul 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N1JWW

N1JWW Ham Member QRZ Page

I love this transciever, but after setting up the local repeaters, all is good there. However, I am see very unconsistants results with APRS on band B. I have tried smart beaconning, regular beaconning and and even a force manual beacon. I have all the settings right, I think. 8 yrs or so ago, I used to run the dual band Kenwood TMD-700 and it worked flawlessly.

Could the local repeater be responsible for any inconsistancies? I haven't traveled yet to another major town with repeaters to rule that out.

I do have the little circle and the solid dot showing in the top of the display.

Also, Do I have to be on the APRS memory location on Band B for APRS to work, or does it run in the background if I am monitoring another freq on Band B?

N1JWW

Jeff W Waldrop

2. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Set the first Band B memory location to 144.390 and make sure that band B is set to this frequency. When you turn on the beacon modem it will transmit on whatever frequency band B is set to. Also in the settings area under APRS set your call with the proper -X for fixed, mobile or whatever the case may be. Also check for the proper baud rate.
    Bob

N1JWW likes this.
  3. WD6USA

WD6USA Ham Member QRZ Page

Make sure you are not set for a digital when transmitting or receiving from AORS.

4. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

APRS does not run "in the background". You have to leave band B on the APRS frequency at all times.
    It's quite possible that the digipeater in your area is no longer on the air or has moved. Have you checked with it's owner about it's status?
    What do you mean by "inconsistent results"? Is the radio transmitting? Are you receiving other APRS stations? Are you not appearing on the internet like with aprs.fi?
    It's possible that the local digipeater is still quite functional but there is no igate within range. Digis and igates are usually owned and maintained by individual hams who out of the goodness of their heart and their own pocketbook install and maintain them for the rest of us. If the infrastructure is no longer there your radio won't do much on the APRS mode.