FTM-400 vs FTM-300

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KD4MOJ, Apr 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Inquiring minds wanna know...

So is the FTM-300 replacing the 400? I have yet to find an answer on that one...

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

2. KA3TJI

KA3TJI Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't know if it is replacing the 400, but my opinion is it is nothing more than an overpriced FTM-100. Great features that the 100 should have had from the getgo. Will I buy one? Hell no. Got two 400s now that work great and I don't see the 300 doing anything more or better for me.

BJEWETT likes this.
  3. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Like you I've not found much online to define the marketing objective. Having had a 100 and now a 400 the 300 is clearly an upgrade to the less expensive 100 with single receive and B/W display. The 300 with digital on A and B side, detachable head and BT are additions to the 400. I think it comes down to personal choice about screen size, head placement and overall size. For me I'll stick to the 400 as a house bound radio with the 1st generation's poor GPS lockup issues.

I would be surprised if 400 production stopped, but you never know what lurks in the mind of a Japanese business man. :)

BJEWETT likes this.
  4. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Right now they are both priced ($469.95 street price) the same even though the 300 isn't out yet. It seemed like the 400's were out of stock so long (they appear to be back in stock with a-lot of dealers) that the 300 was going to be a replacement. If not, then there has to be a wider price difference between the two. Otherwise it doesn't make sense.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

5. N4DJC

N4DJC Ham Member QRZ Page

No crossband repeat that I can tell, it’s a little more compact. I like the design, but the price...ouch.

Drop the price $100 (which they will) now you’re talking.

6. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

I've heard from the Fusion forums that the 100 has already been discontinued. So, Yaesu must think the 300 is a 100 replacement.
    I would feel pretty certain it does do cross-band repeat. It is a "true" dual band radio. Cross-band repeat often isn't mentioned in manuals for some stupid reason.

EA4GVC likes this.
  7. N3RMC

N3RMC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I almost pulled the trigger on a 400. I've decided to hold off now until I see some real world reviews of the 300. Intended use would be mobile; the smaller control head on the 300 would fit better in my Forester.

K2BCE likes this.
  8. N5YSQ

N5YSQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ew FTM-300DR includes; DG-ID (Digital ID); Group Monitor; positional awareness from
    the built-in 66ch High Sensitivity GPS receiver enabling Real Time Navigation; Backtrack feature; a GPS Terminal
    for an external GPS receiver; 1200/ 9600 ARRS data modem
    for ARRS mode; Voice Recording of both Received and
    Transmitted audio; save and load data including configuration and memory channel information to a micro SD card;
    What is ARRS mode.. I have tried to find info.. Can't.. Never heard of ARRS mode..

9. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

1200/9600 data modem is usually related to APRS modes. Searching the advanced 300 manual turns up nothing for ARRS nor any google search for yaesu ARRS as you noted not finding anything. Where did your reference come from?

10. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like it was copied from the Yaesu product page, due to the formatting.
    However, the product page says APRS. Perhaps there was a typo when it
    was copied?

https://tinyurl.com/FTM300DR