ad: SMHam-1

FTM-350AR - ???

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KD8KSN, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KD8KSN

KD8KSN Ham Member QRZ Page

I was surprised when I searched for the Yaesu FTM-350AR that nothing came up in this forum. That means one of two things - 1) it is so good no one has anything bad to say about it, or 2) it is so bad everyone knows not to buy it....:D Are there any FTM-350AR (or 350R) owners here that could fill me in on how they like/do not like it? How do you like it for APRS? I know that the Kenwood TH-D72 can be configured to act as a stand alone digi - does this radio have this same feature? Any other helpful info would be appreciated.

http://rffun.com/catalog/fm_txvrs/3350.html

Thanks!

2. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This radio had some early quality issues, but Yaesu has issued several updates for it, and I think the big issues have been resolved. You can read the reviews at eham. net. Apparently, the original manual stunk a whole lot, and I think it led to some wrong conclusions about the radio.

I have not tried to use one yet.

3. KC8IUR

KC8IUR Ham Member QRZ Page

From what I gather, it's no TM-D710A.

4. KD8KSN

Is that a good thing or bad thing? I have ever owned the D710, but the other Kenwoods that I have owned have been great. I know the 350R had issues, but it seeme that they have resolved most of them in the 350AR model.

5. KJ6EPH

KJ6EPH Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I have two in two different cars and they work like I wanted them to work. One of them is in my Wrangler where I use it not only for voice but also APRS. I'm not so much into APRS that I send messages back and forth it's more location reports during off-road trips and it is doing that very well. From time to time I use it for sending an email but that's it.
    What do you want to know?
    It is a very menu-oriented radio where you have to get used to it but when you use it a while it works great.

6. KD8KSN

This thread is a few days old, so I am pretty much sold on it. A few days ago, it seemed that, besides a few revies on eHam, no one really knew anything about this radio. With the issues they had with the 350*R* in the beginning, I was a little hesitant about spending $600 on the AR model.

I think I only have one outstanding question:

I saw a post on eHam that this radio does not have a CW identifier for the crossband repeat. According to them, you cannot use it legally. I own the FT-8800R, and I have never used the identifier when using crossband - it never talked about setting it up in the radio. The only time I read anythinng about a CW ID was when it was showing you how to setup ARTS. So my question: Is it legal to use a crossband repeater without a CW identifier?? I would hope Yaesu (or anyone else) would not include a feature in a radio that can't legally be used.

Thanks for the reply!

7. N0HAN

N0HAN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu FTM-350R. I just got this two weeks ago and wow! I can not say enough good about it! It was about the easiest radio I have ever programed and can be as simple or as complicated as you wish! I love the display sizes when your a geaser with bad eyes its nice to find a big display to fall back on! Also have to admit changing the color of back light makes it go with most car lighting as well. I have the blue tooth on order and the voice unit as well. Not sure if I want to run the GPS because frankly I don't want every one to know where I am. The GPS is not up to the TOM-TOM style but its rather more to say where you are not where to go. I am how ever a bit concerned about the heat it generates so I may mount it with a large heat sink and or fan in the trunk. The radio does wide and narrow FM and even can RX standard FM broadcast while in standby for the ham freqs. I bought this for my kid for her car but think daddy needs one in his car too!

8. KD8KSN

I assume that it creates the large amount of heat WHILE TRANSMITTING, or does it do it while it is just monitoring??

9. W0QYV

W0QYV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had this radio for a few weeks, but just got around to installing it in my silverado. Took me about 30 minutes of playing with it to get all my local repeaters set up and saved into memory and learn my way around the menus. I have ordered the gps and may try my hand at learning aprs.
    As far as the no cw id during crossband.. im thinking I wont be using the crossband feature very often.. I also have to wonder, if it is illegal to run crossband without the cw id, why didnt the FCC require it before they ok'd it for sale?
    The large display is great as well. My ft8800 was always too far away for my bifocals and not far enough away for my upper lenses..not so with this radio.
    I have had lots of 2m/440 mobiles and this one is the last one.. I really like it and I like that I can pop the control head out and take it with me in a matter of seconds.
    Oh,,and with the two independent speakers on the control head.. no problem hearing while driving.
    73's

10. KD8KSN

I got it about a week ago as well, and I am loving it! It takes a little while to get used to the expansive menu system (which is configured very logically), but after you learn the ins and outs it's a great radio! I bought the internal GPS for it, and it was very easy to install. APRS is next to nothing to get going.

Still playing with it......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.