FTM-300DR vs. FTM-400XDR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by W4DJV, Jul 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4DJV

W4DJV Ham Member QRZ Page

One benefit of the pandemic is that I've brushed off my gear and I'm getting back into the hobby. I'm looking at the fractured VHF/UHF digital modes equipment market and I'm settling in on Yaesu and their System Fusion (I want to throw this Anytone DMR in the trash). I'm considering and evaluating the 300DR against the 400XDR. Has anyone created a side-by-side comparison of these two radios?

Owners of either of these - what should I know about this choice??

73 de Dan
    W4DJV

2. KD1ELK

KD1ELK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The 300 has a 2 inch non touch display, built in bluetooth (audio only, yaesu BT is years behind the times so it probably wont work with your vehicles stereo), audio recording, digital on both bands, and for some reason separate audio outputs for the A and B bands. I think these are the major differences between the two.

I am glad I got the 400.

NG0L likes this.
  3. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page

One difference may have to do with the band scope. On the ftm 400 you can program memory's and when in memory mode, the band scope shows the activity on the frequencies programed around the current listening frequency (channel slices really). This allows you to program memories such that a connected repeater group input/output frequencies can be programmed in successive memories and that activity displayed - who is using what repeater and who is within simplex range - pretty cool feature but not necessary.

This feature also allows you to program your favorites near each other and listen to one while visually watching the others - regardless of above or below or near the listening freq. My programming strategy for the FTM 400 is totally different from that for my ft-8800.

The ftm 300:

With the Band Scope Function, users can monitor up to 63 channels centered around the current VFO frequency in real time. (21 channels in memory channel mode)

*Note: I do not have a 300 and do not actually know how the scope is implemented in memory or VFO mode.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  4. W4DJV

W4DJV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for giving me your feedback!

KD1ELK likes this.
  5. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got the FTM-300DR Tuesday so still experimenting with it. Many of the menu options are like the FTM-400. I am amazed at the amount of information displayed on the screen. I am not impressed with the SSM-BT10 Bluetooth device. It works but the audio level in ear is definitely not designed for one with hearing difficulties and there is noticeable delay between voice start and transmit start. Also other stations tell me that the audio when using the Bluetooth device does not sound like me and is not the greatest quality. I am researching other Bluetooth headsets. Otherwise, so far I really like the radio and highly recommend the RT Software system. Still experimenting.

6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Ft300 has dual radios, so may allow duplex for satellite work. Dunno about a headset though, essential to prevent audio feedback in to the mic.

Personally I'm beyond disappointed with Bluetooth. BTW Kenwood BT stinks too.