FTM-100DR - what's this mean?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KI7NNK, Jul 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KI7NNK

KI7NNK Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't seem to find this in any of the manuals.

[​IMG]
    This is where the SQL mode goes and normally on this repeater it shows ENC which allows me to send the PL tone and access the repeater. But when I turn on the APRS modem and come back to this channel it shows this and I can't access the repeater anymore. I'm sure it's just a setting I need to change or learn more about how the APRS modem on this radio works but I literally can't find this symbol or what it means anywhere in either manual. If I change the radio mode from Auto to FM it shows SQL, I think because I have a voice squelch on the APRS modem setup page so I don't here the packets. Thanks.

Also if anyone wants to help me make more sense of how the APRS modem on these work better I would love to chat.

2. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

There's no image...

3. KI7NNK

really? I see one. interesting.

Try this link

4. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

The image link appears to require a log in to view. You should try uploading it to QRZ.

5. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I saw the picture shortly after posting, but was not in position to easily respond which honestly will be somewhat limited. Its been awhile since I had a 100, but likely similar feature set to other APRS mobile transceivers. Voice alert feature using PL tone 100 allows for a brief voice simplex exchange with other operators that have the feature on too. You them move off the APRS frequency to some other clear simplex frequency to continue. My experience with other radios is Voice Alert is broadly applied and seems to override programmed repeater channels ignoring preprogrammed settings for that channel. What I saw in your picture I am not familiar with, but your comments I am. One shortcoming of the 100 is it is single receive which really force you to commit to APRS or voice operations with some knob fiddling to change. A dual receive radio will allow APRS on one side and voice operate on the other side. You will have the voice side select normally and the APRS side will be running unattended on the other side. While the 100 is dual band the price is lower because of only single receive. Dual band and dual receive is typically a good step up in price.

KI7NNK likes this.
  6. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

same here

7. KI7NNK

I did, its strange because I still see it in this post. Let me try again.

Attached Files:

8. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, you will see it because you are logged in to your Google drive. You will see what others see by logging out or using a different computer/device. I see things like this all the time when doing IT support. I've even seen computer science instructors, people that you'd hope would know better, make this same mistake. It's an easy mistake to make and hard to see unless looking at it from a "clean" computer for testing.

9. K6CPO

that didn't work either...

10. K6CPO

I can see the image here, but I have no idea what that means. I tried to replicate it on my 100 with no results. I could play around some more to see what i can find out. There is an FTM-100DR group on Facebook. You could ask there.