FTM-100DR problem getting into WIRES-X mode

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by N4RL, Jun 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N4RL

N4RL Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently got a FTM-100DR. I have the CT-174 MiniDIN cable connected to both the radio and to an HRI-200. The HRI-200 is also connected to my PC running Windows 10 with WIRES-X.

I have used the radio to exchange APRS data and to talk on a few repeaters, but have not been able to get it to work as a WIRES-X node. Please help me to troubleshoot this problem as I have exhausted the possibilities I could come up with.

Steps to reproduce the problem:
    With the radio powered on and connected to an antenna...
    and with the radio connected to a powered HRI-200...
    hold down the Dx, GM, and Power buttons until the radio power cycles.

Symptom:
    The radio powers back up and displays the Yaesu WIRES-X splash screen.
    The radio does not make any sound and remains on the splash screen until the sequence above is repeated (which powers the radio on in its standard operating mode).
    While the splash screen is displayed the DISP/Setup button can be pressed to hide and reveal the splash screen, but no other buttons have any visible affect.

Expectation:
    I expect the radio to make three beeps and then move beyond the splash screen to show the status of the WIRES-X node. I have never seen this happen on my radio, but have seen it in YouTube videos.

Is it possible that I have a bad radio? A bad HRI-200? A bad CT-174 cable?
    Am I doing something in the wrong sequence? Do I need to connect the HRI-200 after the radio is put in WIRES-X mode?

2. AI6AK

AI6AK Ham Member QRZ Page

The radio needs to be powered off then power it back on holding the colored Dx and GM keys. Each time you do this cycles the radio as normal or as a node radio. Once the radio goes into WIRE-X mode start the WIRES-X program to recognize the radio. Also, make sure the cable is attached to "radio 1" of the HRI-200. I also use a FTM-100 as my node radio so your problem. is probably something really simple such as a sequence issue. Give it a try and report back.

3. N4RL

N4RL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the response.

The behavior I am seeing is that the radio never goes into WIRES-X mode. After powering it back on holding the colored Dx and GM keys, I expect the radio to make three beeps and then move beyond the splash screen to show the status of the WIRES-X node. I have never seen this happen on my radio.

4. AI6AK

AI6AK Ham Member QRZ Page

You said you use APRS so make sure the APRS modem is turned off before starting WIRES-X. Also, when the radio display changes from "WIRES-X" to showing the node info (Freq/HRI-200/WIRES-X displayed) it will make 5 consecutive beeps from low to high. Sounds like the radio isn't recognizing the WIRES-X program. Try rebooting the computer, turn the radio on in WIRES-X mode then restart the WIRES-X program.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  5. N4RL

N4RL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have verified that the APRS modem is set to OFF. I have tried every possible sequence combination of turning the radio on - starting wires-x - and rebooting. The radio remains on the WIRES-X splash screen and there is a message in the bottom left corner of the application "Transceiver Not Connect." This condition is true if I remove the CT-174 MiniDIN cable. I suspect the problem is either with the cable or the radio. I think the HRI-200 is working because I can see a log entry in the application like this:

2018/06/21 07:37:40 Error: HRI-200 Communication device Not found.
    2018/06/21 07:37:40 Transceiver Mode: Digital/Digital
    2018/06/21 07:37:41 Number of sound devices = 5
    2018/06/21 07:37:41 Set Voice Mixer Device : Input=4 Output=0
    2018/06/21 07:37:41 Mixer input device=Microphone (2- HRI-200 A(CH1) USB Audio codec
    2018/06/21 07:37:41 Mixer output device=Speakers (2- HRI-200 A(CH1) USB Audio codec )
    2018/06/21 07:37:41 HRI-200 Audio device detected.