FTDX-3000 Won't Turn Completely Off

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0UZ, Jul 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. K0UZ

K0UZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Added an AL-811 amp to my FTDX-3000 via the "Linear" DB-15 connector using the ARB-704 and cable supplied by Ameritron for the FTDX-3000. With the amp powered off, when I turn off the 3000 the white selector buttons (ANT, IPO, etc.) remain lit until I turn off the power supply supplying the DC for the 3000 or if I remove the connection to the "Linear" connector on the 3000. Anyone else having or had this issue?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  2. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a cable problem. Call MFJ to help you or buy one off of eBay.

3. K0UZ

So, you've heard of this before?

4. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Join the :

Yaesu_FTdx3000_Users_Group @ Yahoogroups.com

Lots of users there including myself ( never saw that problem ) with a lot of experience.

I have an Al-811 and an AL-811H and just use the keying RCA jack to use it.

Remember the 3000 is ' kinda' powered on when you provide power to it - the USB port and a few other parts. Always power off the 3000 first, then
    turn off your power supply. I would not leave DC going to the 3000 when I was not using it.

5. K0UZ

The issue was resolved. You are not supposed to apply power to the 704 when using the cable for the 3000. It's in the instructions - I just missed it.

6. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the obvious answer here which you are missing is that your rig is warning you not to leave, because it's sensing some extreme DX in the background. This DX will have soon been apparent to you, but forcing the rig to shut down caused you to miss it.

Next time, do not leave you rig. Continue to operate.

7. K0UZ

Thanks for taking the time to reply. That's a pretty interesting solution you've suggested - certainly a first for my 60+ years as a ham but, thanks none the less!
    I don't think you understood the problem. See my last comment regarding the resolution to this situation. It was operator error and failure to read the instructions carefully. As I said, though, keep supporting this forum and offering any ideas you have....73.

8. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

haha... was teasing. I hope you work it out!

73!

9. K0UZ

Phew, thought you were serious!

10. KL7FZ

KL7FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

"FTDX-3000 Won't Turn Completely Off"

Had a girlfriend like that once. But I was young and it was OK at the time.