FTdx-3000 owners...Help me with Qs please

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N4MU, Oct 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm about to plunk down enough to buy a 3000. Since I don't have the convenience of playing with one at the "local" toy store I have a few questions to ask those of you who have one. It may seem pretty basic but I just want to make sure. Thanks...
    1. Is the spectrum scope function "real-time"...like the 991A? It doesn't stop or mute audio or receive does it?
    2. Installing the 300Hz (CW) optional roofing filter will give me three filters, right? Not, replace one of the two standard ones?
    3. For digital modes all I need is a computer/software and a USB cable, right? The 3000 has a built-in sound card like the 991A?
    4. You may use the FH-2 keypad all the time and it does NOT share its' port with any other device, right? (The 991A shares it with amplifier ALC...and a menu selection allows only one at a time. Even if you don't use ALC you may not have the FH-2 plugged in and use an amp. UGH!!!

Thanks. There may be more but I appreciate any info to clarify. 73, Bill

K6EIR likes this.
  2. AI6AK

AI6AK Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a 3000 and can only answer 1 and 3. Don't have the additional roofing filter installed and while I have the keypad I've never used it. Yes the scope is real time. I believe the 1200 is the one that isn't. Yep for the digital modes you just need the cable and computer. Hope that helps some.

3. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It comes with 4 roofing filters...15K 6K 3K and 600Hz installed. The optional 300 Hz filter adds a 5th roofing filter you can toggle through using the R FLT switch. The NAR button changes the width of the DSP filter. Personally, with the 600 Hz filter and the DSP I have never really seriously thought of buying the 300 Hz roofing filter. The DSP filter narrows it up pretty good.

4. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

6AK & 9J: Thanks for info. Still waiting for #4 but I'm 99% sure on that one anyway. It is a concern because that may be the biggest goof Yaesu made with the 991A (what I'm using now). A real PITA. I was also wondering about whether the 300Hz RF would be worth the expense. I tentatively decided that I'd like to have it as about 90+% of my hamming is CW and as long as I'm "going for it" I might as well do everything possible to maximize CW reception. With all the other filters and tweeks available I don't know what the payback may be but if I don't buy it with the radio I may never have another chance to blow $200...LOL. Thanks for info...looking for other replies/opinions...73, Bill

5. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

4. The FH-2 keypad may be left plugged in all the time. The amplifier interface is completely separate, unlike on the FT-991/A. Note that the voice recorder module the FH-2 can control is a separate optional module, however, also unlike the FT-991/A. Note that the FT-991/A allows much of the FH-2 functions to be performed via its built in touch screen, where the FTDX-3000 MUST use the FH-2 to control these functions. So the FH-2 is not really needed for the FT-991/A.

3. You are correct. To the FTDX-3000 (and FT-991/A) both have built in slund cards. All you need to run digital modes with them is a computer, software and USB cable.

2. The 300 hz ROOFING filter has a dedicated slot in the FTDX-3000 chassis and does not preclude any other filters. Note that FT-DX-3000 RX filtering is continuously variable and implemented in a DSP/SDR IF back end. Tbe 300 Hz roofing filter add to that and will help prevent front end saturation or desense when the signal of interest is surrounded by VERY, VERY powerful and usually very nearby operators, and so is infrequently used.

1. The FTDX-3000 spectrum scope is real time and does not interfere with RX audio. And if you'd like to improve it, just plug an SDRplay SDR dongle into the 9 MHz IF output to have a tracking display, or into the RX Only output to have an independent display and wnd receiver. Note tbat both outputs come AFTER the FTDX-3000 RX bandpass filters, preamps and attenuators, which in most cases enhances attached 2nd receiver performance.

I have two FTDX-3000s and two FT-991s in use at 3 QTHs, so these comments are based on direct experience.

Brian - K6BRN

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Get the Filter
    I have a 500 Hz and 250 Hz filter in my Yaesu and use the 250 Hz filter a LOT, and sometimes I use an additional audio filter to narrow down my CW bandwidth to less than 100 Hz when it gets crowded ! It is a BIG plus after my last rig with only the 500 Hz filter !!!!!!

7. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

John (K8JD):

That's great, but your rig is probably NOT an FTDX-3000, since this particular rig only has discrete 600 Hz and 300 Hz ROOFING filters for CW. Main RX (IF) filtering is digital and continuously variable from 50 Hz to 2400 Hz for CW. Which is why the 300 Hz ROOFING filter is (really) optional. The roofing filters protect the rigs front end and down-conversion chain from overload/desense by strong, nearby signals. They are not really meant to provide final selectivity, thought they do contribute.

Not saying not to get it (the 300 Hz roofing filter) - just that its utility is really under the most extreme conditions. And if THAT's the situation you operate under, then perhaps you should consider the Yaesu Micro-tune preselector filters (all three of them) as well, which plug into the FTDX-3000 and help reject adjacent BAND interference quite well. I have ALL of the optional filters (300 Hz CW roofing, MTU-160, MTU-40/80 and MTU-20/30).... and rarely use them. But I use the standard, built-in digital filter a lot. Your operating style may be different.

The 250 Hz and 500 Hz filters in your rig are likely IF filters that play the same role as the continuously variable digital IF filter on the FTDX-3000.

Brian - K6BRN

8. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Brian: Your first reply had me convinced...NO 300 Hz RF. Then I read comment from John, and yes, he didn't say what model receiver he has but it certainly must be a model using 500/250 IF filters. I agree with your assumption...and your logic. I've decided to forgo the 300 filter (saving $200 up front...which the "boss" likes). Yes, I agree, if I cannot do it with the adjustments that are left on the 3000 it probably couldn't get done anyway. Now all I have to do is wait...wait...wait...for Black Friday! That's when I bought the 991A last year. Side note: Although "saving" $200 it was a bit more difficult to get the boss to see the wisdom of spending "only" $145 for an FTM-3200DR for the house (since I'm going to sell the 991A). Somehow I managed to convince her...I mean, the boss that there is still a savings of $55 (that she knows will mysteriously wither away also somewhere). Thank you for your erudite comments! -Bill
    Thanks to all!!!

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

1. Order rig
    2. Have it shipped to your workplace or somewhere else other than your home where you can easily pick it up
    3. Unpack rig there, put packaging aside where you can retrieve it later
    4. Carry unboxed rig into the house, exclaiming, "I can't believe someone was throwing this out! Some people...." and keep muttering into the shack, where you install new rig

10. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Great idea but how do you think I got the 991A? The boss would certainly know something's fishy. And before you suggest it...yes, I've already tried the "Far East Lottery" winning ticket stuff.