ad: chuckmartin

FTdx-3000 HRO 60 Meter Modification Kit

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W4JDY, Jan 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W4JDY

W4JDY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Please everyone ... excuse my spelling mistakes and frustration esp. when I read such rubbish. We have too many programs that were letter-perfect whether EVMS or on schedule that turned up duds for our warriors on the front line. I always put myself out there with those I served with and remembered when something did not quite work right under fire or an operation in the middle of an ocean ... I thought as a NCO it was those damn engineers. Only later when I did my time on the line where every officer should be until they are successful at the O-4 level ( as an O-2E and up, I got no slack from my skippers), they should not be on shore duty or in a school.

DMSC - not DAU in my time ... but after that, and being in my first Program Office with 22 years as a naval aviation engineering officer under my belt, I saw why the systems failed - poor requirements, requirements creep, impossible specifications, a dislike by Government for data and drawing reviews (a sign of who is a real PM and Lead System Engineer or absent on the job), and the failure of us, military and civil servants of not following the system design and development against the RTVM and its contractual WBS before every ETR event. If my staff in or out of a program office of defense contractor facility did not engage with their counterparts daily, and both had the same story as to where we were, then I teamed with my counterpart to correct first our deficiency in leadership, their training, and lastly an assignment where they could do the least harm under the careful eyes and strong hand of a mentor.

It really burns me when I read someone insult contractors as without them the wonders we have at present would not be. Americans are the greatest engineers in history since the Romans.

So excuse this one example of what the US civil service is not about, or a portrayal of "them versus us". As before some 2.5 decades earlier and to the present, I have been fortunate with working with some of our nation's brightest and most dedicated professionals on both sides of the DoD acquisition process. and the so-called Millineals - give a dozen and I'll run over any other program with the post-baby Boom generation. These young adults are focused, collaborative, self-starters, eager to learn, not afraid to innovate, and most of all are respectful and loyal. The only way you could lose one to another job is to fail them. Actually, they are me - in some cases, Hippie and all as far as rules that inhibit creativity and thinking out of the box.

Well, back to work as some of us have yet to reach our full potential after 48 years of doing everything and having fun learning new things and being a part of a team. 3 careers and I still do not know what I want to do when I grow up !!!

2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I designed radios and satellite systems at Harris corporation prior to entering Government service. You just keep digging yourself into a deeper hole. Ditch the ego and enjoy the hobby.

And FWIW, I worked for the VCSA, I was hand picked, and if you were in my command with your attitude, I probably would have made you someone elses headache. So I read through all of your chest beating, I am underwhelmed. Happy freebanding.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    KA2FIR likes this.
  3. KC5NYO

KC5NYO Ham Member QRZ Page

Ahhhh……. the spirit of camaraderie and fellowship that keeps us all coming back to the Zed for more lol!!

W4KYR and KA4DPO like this.
  4. KA4DPO

Right on.:)

5. W4JDY

W4JDY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No, we would have stepped outside with the Top ... that is what real officer do.

Staffers - that is why I am on three DoD working groups.

In my time, staff duty unless with a major combat command was was dead time for promotion.

I turned down a CNO staff position and a three star Atlantic staff manpower position after GW I.

The problem here was as in the original conversation. Modifying at the time for the earlier Yaesu transceivers was being done either legally with Yaesu's permission and assistance, or a reseller, or my the owner, MAR/AMARS/AFMARS or not.

I called and got the Yaesu documentation and for AMARS mod down on my own.

You immediately objected to the mod, questioned the MARS need, and then cited some 60db antenna that most using ALE do not use and they are on the air 24-7 globally.

You have the personality problem ...seeing the negative in anything or everyone rather than dealing, training and tolerating those different from your perfect self.

No chest thumping here, and for a grand we can show documentation from day one thru the military career and civilian and contractor positions.

What irks me the most and is a danger sign was your statement about contractors. I can say the same about staff officers and those with a lack of field time that should span three quarters of their career prior to O-6.

But then we have a different system in the USN/USMC where we evaluate our officers on their subordinates performance. I expect officers to do their job exceptionally well. But leadership - fail that regardless of the crew your are handed, and forget being promoted.

The same works out in major weapon system builds ... try a warship, not a radio for a change ... tying shipyards, operators, and manufacturers and suppliers for something that large kept me and my top two engineers working until 01:00 daily.

She is in the water and now being retrofitted with the weapons she was designed for. Along with four major aircraft programs, 3 foreign programs, one spent 8.5 years living in Jeddah//Taif, and add two radar systems, DCGS in its early days, a new Army gunsight, and now cyber engineering out the IT-only mentality within the current acquisition crop mindset.

And none of this includes the military systems (four ranging from missiles to ISR/SIGINT) I was charged to introduce when wearing the suit.

I value every member of a team, in or out of the military or DoD acquisition workforce. And from my recent experience, NGC and Lockheed have been all-stars unlike two others I will not cite here, but managed to get one kicked out of Kuwait.

So we see people from two different perspectives, careers, and value systems, and definitely leadership styles.

In the end, none of this matters as the modification for 60m is one of many mods amateur radio operators do - been doing it since the 1960's myself using military gear for my first radio station as a kid.

And if we had open source software for WIres-X, I would be doing the same for it as my time allows.

Like in the field, rules are subject to recall and being broken as the mission or need allows.

As long as people are operating in the correct Region 2 USA 60m frequencies, who really cares?

Enough said ... these is a difference between chest thumping and trying to sail without the wind in one's sails other than your own.

6. KA4DPO

That was enough hot air to sail an entire fleet.:rolleyes:

KA2FIR likes this.
  7. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Did you just start using FT-8? You do realize you responded to an original message a year and a half old, right?

KA2FIR and KA4DPO like this.