FTdx-3000 HRO 60 Meter Modification Kit

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4JDY, Jan 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's entirely possible or my Google Fu is failing me or the .gov sites aren't up-to-date. In any event, I've reached my limit of my caring about it.

2. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

What are the "FT8 frequencies", and why would they differ from the US-allowed 60m allocated frequencies for other modes? Is it common for US operators using FT8 mode to be working outside the channels permitted?
    Joe,
    What version of firmware does your FTDX-3000 currently have? Yaesu has version 01-23 available for your radio, dated 06Sept2017, that will contain programming for the current US-allowed 60m allocated frequencies. No further modification should be needed in order to access the legally-permitted US 60m band.
    Here's the link to the Yaesu.com page concerning the FTDX-3000.
    http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cm...E0B37BD528EE1A56F1&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0
    If you click the tab marked "FILES", and scroll down, you'll find the links about the update, including how to check your current firmware level:

FTDX3000 Update Firmware Information 9/28/17 ( 145.51 KB )
    FTDX 3000 All current Firmware including the New Update TFT 9/28/17 ( 2.81 MB )
    FTDX3000 Firmware Update Manual ( 377.36 KB )

Best wishes, let us know how this turns out!

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

3. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Plus it makes your rig attractive to the good buddies if you decide to sell it. "Extree Channels included, ten-fo."

KA4DPO likes this.
  4. W4JDY

W4JDY Ham Member QRZ Page

It's the bandwidth that is the main concern. But FT-8 is not illegal in the Region 2 to this date.
    For 60m, and to avoid possible cross-channel interference, it was the NTIA that asked ARRL to limit 60m transmissions to PSK31 and PACTOR III only.

N2PQW likes this.
  5. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

David - excellent info.

The issue is not the frequencies themselves. The issue is the procedure for using them on FT8 - you literally have to hit the V/M button after every TX pass.

With the MARS modification you do not have to do this. The VFO will stay tuned to the legal 60 meter frequency and will allow you TX without mashing the V/M button.

N2PQW likes this.
  6. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Mark,
    Thank you for the explanation. You're saying that with each transmission, the radio switches from Memory mode to VFO mode? I am not (yet) an FT8 user, but I would imagine that issue would be pretty frustrating.

Assuming you also have an FTDX-3000, I'll also ask you; is it updated to the latest firmware, and you still have this operating hassle?

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

7. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

David,

Yes and yes - I am not the OP, but I believe that was the crux of the initial question.

8. NX1V

NX1V Ham Member QRZ Page

No you don't.

9. NX1V

NX1V Ham Member QRZ Page

Clarification, if you select 60m from the drop down list within WSJT, it will kick the radio in to VFO mode at the previous channel and transmission will not be possible.

But, you hit the vm once and go to the correct channel (3) and can TX all day long. 60m is def a grey area, but everyone's using it on 60m all day long. My thoughts are :
    1. the arrl bandplan says "and other digital modes such as" (but does not say limited to.) However,
    2. It does say only one signal permitted on each channel and
    3. Since 60m is allowed on a secondary basis, it's probably that FT8 going constantly on a primary basis is jamming the primary user.

PU2OZT likes this.
  10. WT4W

WT4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd imagine if the issue hadn't been resolved in the 8 months this thread has been dormant the OP would have said something. :cool: