FTDX 1200 WONT POWER UP .

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by N9ZDZ, Nov 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N9ZDZ

N9ZDZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Need some help . trying to locate where the 9 volt starts in this radio. This is the control unit I got this radio just as you see it.
    control unit.jpg

2. WD8BWW

WD8BWW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The yellow wire appears to be shorting the 3.3 volt regulator output to (the connector?) I can't tell what the wire is actually solder to by the connector. This has is nothing to do with 9 volts. The input to the 3.3 volt regulator the other lifted leg is un-switched 13.8 directly from the power supply through a series diode on the PA board.
    Disconnect the yellow wire and measure the resistance of that pad (where the wire is now soldered, to ground and tell me what you read. There is also splashes of solder on the input to the 3.3 volt regulator. Clean that up and apply power to the radio. Measure the voltage to ground and report what you find. Lets start here and see what we find. I have no idea what the person that did this was thinking.

3. N9ZDZ

yea I don't know why they did that but q3003 has 12 volt going in and only 1.5 volts out the other 2 q3005 and q3007 has no input volts or output volts they are dead. I also cleaned everything up so it looks a lot better .Q5009 should be putting out 9 volt on pin 2 but its doesn't so who ever worked on this radio before done a crappy job. I tried looking for a new PQ090RDA2SZH to replace Q5009 but cant find any

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  4. WD8BWW

I repair these radios all the time. 1.5 volts out of the 3.3 regulator is not good.
    There should be no voltage on Q 3005 or Q3007 at this time. In order to pinpoint the problem, please make these measurements.
    Disconnect the yellow wire and the 3.3 volt regulator from the board. Measure the resistance of that pad (where the wire is now soldered, to ground and tell me what you read. Lets start here and see what we find. "

5. N9ZDZ

On the 20k scale I have 3.55

6. WD8BWW

Assuming that is 3.55K ohms it is a good sign. That means the 3.3 volt logic is not shorted, which often happens with power surge.
    You will need a new 3.3 volt regulator for the next steps. The next steps could get complicated. I suggest you email me and we can setup a time to walk you through some testing by phone.

7. N9ZDZ

yes I done ordered 4 new ones should be here in a couple days . I emailed you my phone number

8. N9ZDZ

new 3.3 volt regulator will be here today