FTdx-101D keyer

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K9FV, Nov 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all, I've been doing some research on the FTdx-101D for possible purchase. I sure do like the reading and videos I've done. One thing I've not found yet, in manual or videos. When setting the CW keyer speed, is the CW speed displayed anywhere? I've got a 756Pro which does not display CW speed and that's always been a gripe.
    Any other comments on FTdx-101D rig vs the IC-7610 rig? Both good points. The 101D is about $500 more.....
    Thanks to all for any responses.
    73 de Ken H> K9FV

2. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Ken, I have a FTDX 101d that is dedicated for CW. I have never had a mic on the rig, hope it works! The keyer speed is set with the most right top knob, and you activate it by pushing the knob in. When its active (keyer) the light to the right is on. The knob has several functions, keyer speed and activation is two of them. When you change the keyer speed by turning the knob the WPM setting will display for a few seconds but is not continuous. Ill be on CW after while, Ill take a pic and post it so you can see. 73 Rich

3. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you Rich - I suspected there would be CW speed displayed, but wasn't sure. I'll look forward to photo.

Right now I'm on the fence between the 7610 and 101D. With the Fall sale on I need to make a decision before end of month {g}
    73 Ken

W9RAC likes this.
  4. W9RAC

The first picture is normal, the second is when I turn the CW speed knob. Hope that helps. Forgive my junk phone camera, the actual readout is crystal clear best, Rich

20191108_173652.jpg 20191108_173755.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    WX7P and K9FV like this.
  5. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HI KEN,

THE PRODUCT REVIEW RESULTS WAS POSTED IN THIS MONTHS QST BY THE FOLKS AT THE ARRL.

FTDX 101D REVIEW.jpg

73 CARMEN.jpg

K9FV likes this.
  6. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

CW keyer speed displayed during setting is really only time needed. As forgetful as I am wouldn't mind it being displayed all the time {g} Thank you for taking the time for photos.
    Ken H>

W9RAC likes this.
  7. W9RAC

Can't help you out there Ken. I'm a Yaesu CW guy and a Kenwood SSb guy. I have never owned a Icom so .......... 73 Rich

8. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

Well Rich, you've helped some by providing requested info. I've owned the 756Pro since I purchased it used around 2003, and used IC-2100 2 meter rigs with good luck. I know Yaesu makes some really good equip. More thinking to do on my part.
    73 de Ken H>

9. W9RAC

Well I never really thought about it. I never vairy my character speed, just the spacing if someone needs it a bit slower than 20/21 wpm ish. It's very hard for me to do code with a character speed of <18 and understand what they are sending, head copy. I do not hear the rhythm of the characters. I think that's mainly because when I learned I learned by counting. It took me years to get past that but if the code is 20+ its way to fast to count so I'm not tempted so I generally run 20 to 21 wpm. Low skilled Op here Ken. Good luck on the buying decision, best Rich

10. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

OK Rich, just an update on the post and my question on the FTdx-101D. After looking at both rigs, the 101D and the 7610. I'm still not sure which is "best", but after watching a lot of videos, reading about each, I do think either of them would do what I want. So, based on that the 7610 is more like the 756 Pro I've got, and the display has the same colors. I decided I'd feel more comfortable with the 7610, so I ordered the 7610 Sat morning. I should have it here about mid to late this next week.

Rich, thank you so much for your info.

73 de Ken H> K9FV

W9RAC likes this.