ft991-working with yaesu to resolve big issue on 40

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N1JAO, Apr 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah actually it would. On my Kenwood TS480 and TS590 enabling the noise blanker absolutely destroys the selectivity of the radio the same as it does on pretty much everything other than full SDR radios - I may have to do another Youtube video...

Lowering the sensitivity would leave the radio prone to interference from strong nearby stations such as those in the broadcast band above 7.200. Also you have to remember the 991 doesn't have anything like the filtering that the big Yaesu does. It certainly doesn't have bandpass filters for each ham band.

2. N1JAO

N1JAO Ham Member QRZ Page

And actually the noise blanker was not even close to being the issue in any remote form or fashion. Engaged, modified, or off, the issue was still there because it is not related to the nb.

Anyways- back to the topic: Good news friends- the problem has been identified by Yaesu and acknowledged by them after seeing my video. Radios are being delivered, and I should be receiving one in the next week or so. Good to know that the company recognized the problem and backs up their products with an exchange. I will probably post another video when I receive it.:cool:

Very happy customer

3. F6DEX

F6DEX Ham Member QRZ Page

Dear friend...

NB on some rigs can cause intermodulation (I will not name the brands). But only IF-NB (not DSP-NB). This is why I recommended this checking. I understand this is not the cause, OK OK !... + NB on my FT-991 does not cause any intermodulation but only a distorted AF what is very common. I am glad you can have a replacement quickly.

Regards, Laurent F6DEX

4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Since we can't agree that .040 is not the same as .400, why not set them both to .000 and see what you get? I'm not sitting in front of the radio, and you may, indeed, have an issue. Are the filter passbands the same on both rigs? That 5000 is certainly a superior rig.

5. F6DEX

F6DEX Ham Member QRZ Page

HI

I tested the FT-991 here (France) with strong broadcasts on 40m. Even with AMP2 there is no sign of any intermodulation (no more with NB On). May be a dammaged band pass filter or something wrong in the front-end for this band. Laurent

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would have said Butt, But you are correct.

7. N1JAO

"May be a dammaged band pass filter or something wrong in the front-end for this band" :D Bingo! This has been identified as the problem indeed by yaesu and hence the exchange. Same frequency again verified by their techs who know- not you who clearly don't know. :confused:

Anyway, sorry for being short with some of your comments-I apologize. Sometimes I don't suffer fools well- I will try harder in the future.

vry73

Bob
    n1jao

8. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

No, they aren't.

No, they aren't. Yelling it a 2nd time doesn't make you correct.

7.150.040 is not the same as 7.150.40. If the 991 was tuned to the same frequency as the 5000, it would read 7.150.04. It doesn't. It reads 7.150.40 in that video.

Despite your insistence, the radios were not on the same frequency.

9. N1JAO

that close it doesn't matter (except to you). OMG I am listening to Spanish dance music 20db over s9 on 7.150.00 it is crazy bad how this thing sucks! Does not happen on ic7000, ts830, or the 5000mp. i am beginning to really hate this radio.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  10. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.