ft991 not seeing digital contacts well

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KD9IGC, Apr 3, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KD9IGC

KD9IGC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With the understanding that every radio is different i realized my new ic7300 is seeing contacts in wsjtx better then the ft991. the settings are mirrored software wise between the two computers. does any one know how to help the radio see better beyond widening the width (its set at 3000hz, its max) and turning off the filters? thanks

2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What do you mean by “see better” ?

3. KD9IGC

KD9IGC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For example on the 7300 it can see contacts. Then with the same antenna the 991 can only see 5. The antenna switch is immediate and nothimg changes but the radio

4. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OK. I think you're saying that the signal-to-noise ratio on the waterfall is better with the IC-7300.

There are a few things in the radio settings that could cause that, or it could just be the IC-7300 is just better for this mode. Since the two radios are substantially different in design, it's hard to set them up the same way for comparison, but if it were me I'd fiddle with the controls on the 991A to see if I could improve the S/N at all, if for no other reason than to learn what effect the various settings have; otherwise just use the Icom for WSJT modes if it's important that you "see" the lower S/N signals.

5. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Make sure the AGC is turned off, and adjust the Gain level manually....

6. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What are the Digital Audio settings in the 991's menu? DT gain etc. By "seeing more contacts" , I am assuming your getting more audio drive for the digital on the 7300 and you might want to turn up the 991's Data rx gain, similar to a knob on a signal link but only menu driven.

7. KD8DEY

DT gain affects transmit power, not receive..
    Noise filters off, AGC off....Receive controlled by the RF gain knob...mode Data USB, width 3k...

https://www.n1rwy.org/?p=157

8. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Your correct sorry, looking at the menu it does not have the input gain setting. Perhaps making sure the High and low cut filters in the data menu are off items 66 and 68?

Since the radios are different, you may just have to drive the 991 harder from the Recording level drive in the Sound Mixer. I have to change my Signal Link's receive gain switching between an 891 and a G90. The G90 needs lots of recording gain to get yellow sparkles on an FlDigi waterfall compared to the 891.

9. KD8DEY

Mine seems to be doing ok with just a 20m Dipole.
    over 700 contacts in just a couple weeks with over 400 confirmed so far...

10. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, saw you pass by in FT-8 on 20 i believe this week, running my 991A, was working a Japanese station so could not call you then, you were gone when the qso ended with the Japanese station...

KD8DEY likes this.